Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Happy Ebay to me

It has been a fairly mild spring but very rainy.  My garden is really showing signs of being a "late bloomer".  Perhaps it is still recovering from our miserable winter, or the fact that it was attacked by a beetle at the end of last summer.  Or maybe when I trimmed some things, I was a little cut-crazy?  Probably a combination of all of the above.  Since the weather is not cooperating with me and I need to spend serious time getting the garden to be "blogworthy", I ventured into the vast world of EBay for the first time this spring.  Notice the correlation between my wading into the wonderful ocean of Blogland and getting my feet wet in EBay?

I got my flower fix in another way!  It is so dreary here and I don't have the best lighting but I wanted to share a couple of table toppers I found (new) on EBay.

This is the center and it is pale and this photo did not do it any justice but the cut work and embroidery is really beautiful.  The next photo I actually took in the dark with a flash and you can see the colors better, I don't how, but they are!


Then I found this one




From table toppers that led me to research dishes.  I am so glad I downsized, and living in about 1200 square feet of space, and here I am on EBay looking for dishes!  I found a seller who had a lovely collection of ceramic dishes and pieces from an estate sale in San Francisco.  Not formal, but my colors, my entertaining style, really reasonable, and the seller was willing to work with the buyer on shipping.  Not a lightweight package to be sure!  It was an intense 60 seconds of bidding, I came away unscathed and with most of the items I wanted.  I did lose out on a couple of things.  Now I am waiting for the final tally and shipping charges from the seller.  I had visions of tablescapes and table tops dancing in my head.  At least three posts from what I had "won".  I was a happy camper.  After two days and no word from the seller, I receive an email from them apologizing profusely that the table on which my precious ceramic pieces were placed suffered a broken leg.........and everything crashed to the cement floor.  Nothing was salvaged.  I felt more upset than I think I should have felt!  When commiserating with a friend, she says, "only you."   I seem to hear that phrase alot :(.  Not to be, they weren't meant to live here or anywhere else.  But I did discover these lovelies, and they were delivered safe and sound and are residing in my cupboard.  They are a luncheon set for four of Hazel Atlas crinoline.  They also are known as "lasagna", I learned from a friend.  No wonder I was drawn to them!  (A summer tea luncheon is being planned around these dishes, but shh, it's a secret, don't tell my friend Kathleen.)


Then I am on to napkins.  I see a set that would have really worked well with the daffodil cloth and certain dishes I had "won" on EBay.  Let the games begin, another 45 seconds of intense bidding and they are mine!  Only to receive a note from this seller saying they were sold six months ago, and they had no idea how they became relisted.  I wasn't too upset with this, after learning about the dishes.  Only you, B., my friend tells me.  Only you.  

Next venture?  Flatware?  Glasses?  No, most likely storage solutions.   Oh, yeah, and getting my yard to be "blogworthy".


xo,

20 comments:

  1. I have never bought anything from EBay...I think I am behind the times! You have found some lovely things! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pretty toppers, love the daffs! Sorry to hear about your dishes mishap, sometimes things happen... The pink ones are great, love the curves on the bowls:@)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE the pink dishes !!!!!
    I have both sold and bought things on eBay.
    I've been very pleased with eBay.
    Un abbraccio,
    Lorraine

    ReplyDelete
  4. As Jim Carey would say, "somebody stop me." You are definitely on a roll. Both with the bidding and with the bail out...

    I am seriously coveting your dishes...

    Blessings, Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very pretty dishes. So sorry they had an accident. There is always something out there. Good luck.

    - The Tablescaper

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've never ventured onto EBay to buy or sell. I think I'd probably find way too many things I'd want to buy..lol The pink dishes you found are so pretty, Barbara. Sorry about the ones that broke :(

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, so many addictions, so little space to store it all! I can be very naughty on ebay and it is oh so fun!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Barbara the dishes are wonderful! I can just envision what the summertime tea tablescape will be like ;D I always anticipate my visits with you and all the extra special touches you put into everything!I'm ready to leave tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi, Barbara

    Marvelous purchases, aren't they♫♫♫
    I love all these pretty things, especially pink ones.
    All is well that ends well, I think!!!

    I have never bought anything through PC. Maybe, I'm too scared to get into that magic-world yet. Or my age prevent me from buying things without checking the item with my own eyes, haha.

    Love always, xoxo orchid

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Barbara, The pink dishes are so sweet and being pink, enough said. Love them and can't wait to see your tablescape. Let's not even talk about the other set, so sad. Really like the orange and yellow applique flowers. Is that a tablecloth?

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am in love with the Hazel Atlas set -- it is so different and fun. I have done a bit of ebaying and I love it. Also love the daffodil linens. Joni

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your tabletoppers are gorgeous! But, on my, I am in absolute love with your new dishes!! So pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Caution! eBay can be addictive, but such fun and a terrific resource. Your new textiles and dishes are lovely. ~ Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  14. the pink dish ware is to die for! Love it!

    xo,
    amanda

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am lovin' that first table topper- it's so delicate! You poor thing, with your crazy luck bidding on e-bay. And I thought that I had the worst luck with things! :-)
    I look forward to your luncheon post with your "lasagna" set.
    ~ Sue

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm afraid to venture into ebay, its sort of like QVC and HSN, dangerous!! But I really do love those pink dishes!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh my...that is too bad about the dishes. I love the table toppers...so pretty! I can't wait to see what you do with them:)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi lovely lady. I love your table topper from EBAY. I get all my toppers the same as you do EBAY. Thanks so much for your lovely comments on my new Tablescape. I hope you have a Great Week.
    XXOO
    Diane

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...