Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Would taste better with a side of sunshine

This recipe arrived in my inbox the other day. I am on a weekly newsletter distribution from Swanson's.   I am seriously missing the sun, and it just seemed like a sunny kind of dish.  The email said that folks are thinking ahead for summer and "gravitating" toward lighter fare.  I still seem to be gravitating toward a Philly cheesesteak sandwich, but I gave this a try for tonight's dinner.  Glad I did.  And leftovers for tomorrow! 

Citrus Chicken and Rice

Prep Time: 5 min.
Cook Time: 35 min.

INGREDIENTS:

1 1/4 pounds skinless, boneless chicken breast halves


Chicken tenders work well, too.

1. Cook the chicken in a 10-inch nonstick skillet over medium-high heat for 10 minutes or until well browned on both sides. Remove the chicken from the skillet.

1 3/4 cups Swanson® Chicken Broth  or  Swanson® Chicken Stock
1/2 cup orange juice
1 medium onion, chopped (about 1/2 cup)
1 cup uncooked regular long-grain white rice


2. Stir the broth, orange juice, onion and rice in the skillet and heat to a boil. Reduce the heat to low. Cover and cook for 10 minutes.

3. Return the chicken to the skillet. Cover and cook for 10 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through and the rice is tender. Stir in the parsley.



Sprinkle with additional chopped fresh parsley

Serving Suggestion: For a special touch, cook orange slices in a nonstick skillet over medium-high heat until they're lightly browned. Serve over the chicken.

Ingredient Note from Swanson's: We develop our recipes using a 4-to 5-ounce skinless, boneless chicken breast half per serving.  However, there are a range of sizes available in-store, from the butcher counter to the meat case and the freezer section.  Use whichever you prefer- just follow the recipe as written above for the best result.  If you're using larger chicken breasts they may require a little longer cooking time.

Makes: 4 servings.

I am joining Designs by Gollum for Foodie Friday.

27 comments:

  1. I know what you mean about the sun, it's been here today and gone tomarrow, my heat still comes on. Pitiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for stopping by to see the Black Sheep...it has been one of those weeks..ya know? However, this dish would be a nice add on to my sheep....HA! Great day to you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Summer is coming to Europe so the sides are in season, most days anyway. Thats a nice and quick comforting meal

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, my Dear Barbara!!!

    Lovely dinner you've made. Really looks delicious.
    Well, I always think that the use of rice is kind of different from here in Japan. It may be used as like one of vegetables, probably.

    You kind of made me want to post my Japanese dinner someday from my very small recipe repertoire.

    Love, Ta-ta for now Orchid.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks like the perfect dish for me to make tonight, in fact. (Although I would gladly join hands with you and venture toward a Philly cheesesteak...)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds nice and easy! Gotta love cheesesteaks too though:@)

    ReplyDelete
  7. The dish looks perfect and real easy. I Can't wait to make it for dinner.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Perfect dish! I'm making it today for lunch, we have a big lunch here and very light dinner, as my hubby works at home now that he's semi-retired. Thank you for sharing this yummy chicken and for dropping by and leaving me such sweet and lovely comment.
    XOXO
    FABBY

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds easy enough! Love the orange flavor in it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I would guess this smells really good while it cooks, and it is healthy too! Looks like a winner!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This looks wonderful. I will have to give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This looks really good, Barbara. I actually made chicken cutlets tonight and this rice would have been perfect as a side. I keep it in mind for next time.

    ReplyDelete
  13. It seems you are enjoying your retirement!
    Love, Lorraine

    ReplyDelete
  14. Looks delish and easy! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This sounds like something we would like. Thanks so much.
    xo bj

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yes, oh yes, I am still craving hot and heavy foods, not good for the summer season fast approaching (we hope.) If the rain doesn't stop I will never fit in a suit! Looks great if the sun shines again.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow..we love chicken dishes at home..with rice!Thanks..a simple dish yet so good and comforting

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great recipe looks delicious! Thanks for sharing and have a fun day!

    ReplyDelete
  19. These sounds so delicious yet easy - what's not to like? The sauteed orange slices are a nice touch of sunshine ;)

    ReplyDelete
  20. This looks great. Definitely needed some sun this week. Was so optimistic that the rain was over today that I went out without an umbrella at lunch. Big mistake! Love your purple thoughts on my blog post.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I have all the ingredients so this will be my Sunday dinner. Good and healthy! Thanks Barbara

    ReplyDelete
  22. Your recipe sounds good, and healthy too! thanks for sharing! -Mirage

    ReplyDelete
  23. this looks so yummy! thanks for sharing the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  24. OH, Man! This looks good. My tiny mouth is already watering!
    Be a sweetie,
    Shelia ;)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Oh wow, this looks so good! A nice change of pace, I love new recipes..thank you! :D

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...