Friday, June 3, 2011

Another day, another Dollar

Tree expedition!  When I first moved to this house, I only took two sets of dishes, my Lenox and my Spode Christmas Tree.  I said I was going to use my "good" china every day.  Why I said that, I don't know.  But I was really into downsizing at that time.  I soon found out that I really did need a set of everyday dishes.  Dollar Tree to the rescue.





The dinner plates, nice deep bowls for my pasta   fresh salads or fruit, glasses, and place mats were $1 each.  And for NYC, that is about as low as it goes.  The salad plates are discontinued Pfaltzgraff from Christmas Tree Store for $1. 

The napkins were part of a set of six place mats and six napkins from Bed Bath & Beyond, marked $7.99 but I got them several years ago for 50% off, $4.  The napkin rings are from JC Penney and a gift from my dear friend, Kathleen J.


The everyday flatware was my mother's, purchased at Macy's twenty-five + years ago, twelve settings of  six pieces, $29.99.  Definitely got our money's worth here.


I don't know why I love "kitschy" glasses but alas, I do.  Maybe it was drinking from all those glasses that had the Flintstones on them, and the grape jelly in them, as a child, or the smokey gray ones that came out of the Duz detergent box.  The "bamboo" coasters were four for $1 at DT.



The green leaf dish was $6 from Target several years ago.  Little green bird, DT $1.  Lemons (50 cents ea) and limes (35 cents ea), from God via the Sunkist Growers to my favorite supermarket, Wegman's.  I am not sure if the shadow underneath is a good thing or not as my photography skills are lacking.

I will be joining Diann of The Thrifty Groove for her first Thrifty Tablescapes Party on the first Saturday of each month, the first one is tomorrow, June 4th.  I can't wait to see what my fellow bloggers have found in their neck of the woods.

xo,

17 comments:

  1. It looks great Barbara! Love the fun colors and always think fresh fruit makes a beautiful centerpiece-enjoy:@)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful setting here! I love the Dollar Store..they know me by my first, last and credit card number there!! HA!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A beautiful bright, fresh table! I love your little bird perched on the end of the dish! Too cute!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, my sweet friend!!!

    OH, Dollar Tree.
    when I was reading the first paragraph, I cannot understand what is the "dollar tree".

    We also have 100yen shop,I love there.

    I am not good at all these table setting thing,but I LOVE enjoying yours. Yes, I also love your little bird perched on the dish!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Barbara!
    This is such a great fresh looking table! The colors are perfect. It always amazes me when I go to the DT and find such fun things. Way to make a beautiful thrifty tablescape! Thank you for joining my first TT party! Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a wonderful table! I love Dollar Tree and those basic dishes are the best for tablescapeing. Love the Lemons & Limes and the bird perched on the edge. Oh and that shadow is great, nice photo! I'm glad you joined Diann for her first Thrifty Tablescape Party! hugs, Linda

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello Barbara! Love your thrifty table, looks nice and cheerful!
    Have a great weekend. The pollen is horrendous and our tissue supply is diminished!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very nice hon...(short for "honey"),
    Baci,
    Lorraine

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Barbara, Everything looks so good put together, you have a knack! I too have gotten those deep bowls for pasta, ( I mean salad) at my dollar store, love all the bargins!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi sweet Barbara! I love your table, the colors are awesome! Love those deep bowls for pasta, just great. Love the limes and lemons...soooo nice! Thank you for your wonderful and sweet comments...yeah, come over for " cafe con bollos de pan"! Wow!, you're good with the Spanish! Have a nice weekend. Lots of hugs. FABBY

    ReplyDelete
  11. Barbara, love the tablescape ! Makes me want to sit right down and have something healthy :) Enjoy the weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  12. In my case a dollar less. Thanks for stopping by. Richard at My Old historic House

    ReplyDelete
  13. A beautiful table...love the dishes and the cute glassware too..very nice. :D

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love the happy colors. OOh i do understand the downsizing thing.. and then we upsized again. Your dishes are lovely and really great finds. many blessings, marlis

    ReplyDelete
  15. Barbara, I love how fresh and inviting this table is! I have those same glasses, and I think they're wonderful. LOTS of my dishes come auctions, Dollar Tree, etc. Tablescaping definitely doesn't have to be expensive, and you've confirmed that!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love your happy colors, Sure wish we had one of those stores here, then again the way I love dishes it's proably a good idea that we don't. :-)) Thank you for stopping by to say hello, I hope you pop in again soon.
    hugs ~lynne~

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Barbara! LOVE your table! The plaids and bright colors are so cheery. And actually, the plates on my table are from one of the dollar stores as well! I knew I just wanted to basic white-ish set of dishes, that I could mix and match with anything! Mine are heavy, but so far they're holding up nicely!.. Anyways, love the sweet little bird on your leaf plate! So CUTE!.. Nice to meet you today, and hope you're enjoying your weekend! ~tina

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...