Thursday, June 30, 2011

Magnolia vs. Dogwood

soup bowl


It started with four dark green and rather ordinary looking napkin rings I bought yesterday at the Christmas Tree Shop, .25 cents each.  I figured they would be used more in late fall and for Christmas.  Earlier today, I happened to have an errand at the other end of the island, and decided to stop by my old hunting ground (shopping mall). 



I went into a store called Lot-Less Closeouts.  I had no specific agenda, just wandering around the aisles.  Of course, I had to check out the dishes.  These caught my eye, and a 3-piece place setting was only $1.99!! I thought it must be an error, but, after checking other boxes, all were marked $1.99.  So four sets went into the cart.  Followed by four mugs, .99 cents each.  The company is Savannah Grove and the pattern name is Grand Flora.  Duh, it is obvious it is some kind of 'flora', at first I was so excited thinking it was magnolias.  After looking at it and photographing it, I think it might actually be dogwood.  I happen to like both, but  can anyone verify this?  There is also a red berry in the mix.  Google searches just left me confused, but leaning toward dogwood.

dinner plate

I  found these fabric place mats, .99 cents each, and they are reversible.  Right into the cart. 




I see cloth napkins. Eight of them, 100 percent cotton, for $2.99. That is .37 cents a napkin, so what else could I do but plop them in my cart. 


So today, they are  are the post for Thrifty Things Friday at The Thrifty Groove.  Tomorrow they will become the tablescape for Diann's 2nd Thrifty Tablescapes Party on Saturday, July 2nd! 

Trying to be as thrifty as possible, I had some faux magnolias that I wanted to use as a centerpiece.  But since I am not sure about the flora on the dishes...........I will have to  see what I can do. 

Today my little Pearlie bird is two years old, and as sweet as can be.  Happy Birthday Pearlie!  Still whistling Happy Birthday every day! 
xo,

11 comments:

  1. Hello Barbara:
    You most certainly have an eye for a bargain. Could we hire you to come shopping with us?!!

    The flowers on the dishes are, as you say, a little difficult to decide between Magnolia and Cornus although we think, on balance, we should go for the dogwood. Most likely wrong!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great prices Barbara, especially on the napkins! I'm leaning towards magnolias:@)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nothing feels great as getting a good deal; happy Birthday to Pearlie!
    Rita

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jane and Lance, you would not have to hire me! I would go shopping with both of you any day, either London, Budapest or New York City. :) xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. First, I will tell you that I have some of those same dishes. I don't have enough to make a table, but I have some plus some accent pieces. They are absolutely positively magnolias, and I love the colors in them.

    You got SUCH steals between the dishes the napkin rings and the LINENS. Woohooo what a shopping day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! You did great, AND your dishes are beautiful. I would go with magnolias, too. I can't wait to see your tablescape with these, should be stunning.

    Oliver says "HB Pearlie!"

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great thrifty finds. Can't wait to see the Thrifty Tablescape you create with them!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi, Barbara!!!
    Lovely green color items, aren't they♡♡♡ And I also think they look nice in late fall.
    It always makes us feel good to have a good deal shopping.

    Happy birthday to you PearlAngel! Hope you keep making your mom happy♪♪♪

    TTFN, Love, xoxo Orchid.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Magnolia for sure. Wow are they beautiful! Can't wait to see how you pull it all together.
    As I'm writing this I can't stop whistling Happy birthday! LOL
    Happy Birthday Pearl Angel :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am a Southern girl and those are most definitely Magnolias y'all. And I saw the same dishes at Boscov's here in New Jersey. But I only purchased the mugs @ 99 cents each (I already have too many dishes) But you're making me have second thoughts! lol
    Veronica
    PS: love your blog

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow! What great finds and prices Barbara! Now I can't wait to see the table! I would have snatched each of those items in a heartbeat too! The Thrifty Tablescape party is scheduled to go up at 5:00 this evening.I will be on the road heading to our camper at the time. Thank you for joining TTF and have a fantastic day!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...