Friday, June 10, 2011

Veggie Tales

A recent trip to a farmers' market in the Garden State (New Jersey) yielded a true bounty  for a few meals.



For some reason, in yesterday's heat (98 degrees) and humidity, I felt the need to be by my stove! 


More 'blistering heat' yielded this plate of roasted red and yellow peppers, which I love with fresh mozzarella or I like to place on sandwiches, or even just eat the way they are.  Simple dressing of evoo, garlic, s&p, oregano, and a drizzle of  balsamic just before eating! 



And I made a couple of stuffed ones with breadcrumbs, grated cheese, pitted olives, parsley, pepper, add evoo and either veg or chicken broth til mixture is consistency of wet sand, fill peppers, place in pan and drizzle with oil and bake 350  for 15-20 minutes, checking often.  I did not add salt as it is salty enough with the cheese and olives.


Then I made a quick side dish of potatoes and string beans the way my mom made it, dressed once again with evoo, s&p, red wine vinegar, red onion, and oregano (once I learned what a potent antioxidant this herb is, I use it wherever I can).


Oh, I did add some chunks of feta cheese.  Hmmm, maybe this is a Greek-style potato salad? :-)

For dessert, a peach and an apricot, rinsed under cool water and eaten as Nature intended. 

I am joining Michael Lee for Foodie Friday at Designs by Gollum.  Talk about a bounty, please stop by and see all the great dishes shared by fellow bloggers.

xo,

21 comments:

  1. Hello Barbara:
    A labour of love indeed to be standing at your cooker in all the heat. However, we love roasted peppers and the finished dish looks, and we are sure tasted, absolutely delicious.

    We have found you via Emily's blog and have so enjoyed reading through your very varied and amusing posts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Barbara, everything looks so good!!! I'm feelin the need to head into the Farmer's Market!!! ;0)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, 98 degrees already? Crazy! Good for you that you still heated up the kitchen! Those veggies are gorgeous. The stuffed peppers look fantastic. Any produce here would have to be imported except greens as we are still unseasonably cool. Yours are amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. hi Barbara, sounds like we're both in a heat wave. Yikes, its only June. I love going to the farmers market. I love roasted red peppers, and your dressing sounds delicious. Thanks for sharing your photos. Not only do you know how to make great recipes your know how to make a lovely presentation. Thanks for letting me know about my feeds, its a problem.
    Hope your weekend is great......not to hot I hope.

    ~Emily
    The French Hutch

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, it is hard to find farmer's market here!!! I wish I could. I liked the phrase "yielded a true bounty for a few meals".

    Yea, we are fated to be close to the heat, nice roasing. Looks yummy,yummy☆☆☆

    Hugs,xoxo Orchid.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Everything looks perfect! Your "veggiescape" looks fantastic :)Can't wait to try those recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You did collect a bounty. And you made some wonderful dishes! YUMMY!
    Yvonne

    ReplyDelete
  8. This looks so delicious.Love those veggies.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The only roasted peppers I've ever seen are in a jar. I admit it. I've never roasted them. Everything you have fixed looks REALLY delicious to me, especially those stuffed ones.

    Yum. Just yum.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've never thought of putting the peppers directly on the burner (dah) they look delish! Nothing better than fresh produce in the summer, I can't wait for the tomatoes! Thanks for visiting with me and your kind comments!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love meals of just veggies sometimes, looks great! :D

    ReplyDelete
  12. OOOh yummy. All of it. I love roasted peppers on anything and they are soo good for you. Also loved your treasures from Saturday's walk. The plate for $1.00 was a real steal.. Happy sunday, many blessings, marlis

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh Yummy! this all looks sooooo good!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Nothing like home grown fresh veggie or fruit. I love them. I was raised that way and still prefer them. It was too hot for you to get a cooking fever.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Barbara!

    I love red peppers prepared both of the ways you made them and your string bean salad looks very refreshing ..perfect for summer!

    Wish you could have come Saturday ..it was fun! Hopefully there will be "next time"!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Grilled peppers, stuffed peppers, you're killing me! Definitely my favorite fare... looks amazing!

    Blessings, Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm a roasted pepper fan, too, but my stove is off until the fall. Sorry not to have met you on Saturday. Definitely need to plan a New York blogger get-together.

    ReplyDelete
  18. You definitely came home with a bounty of goods! Looks delish!
    xo Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  19. looks fresh n tasty..yummy clicks..:)
    Tasty Appetite

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...