Monday, July 11, 2011

Any Day Out and About With a Friend Is Good

The road to a friend's house is never long.

                              - Danish proverb





I once received one of those annoying emails that asks personal questions and you are supposed to forward to a dozen people if you want to avoid the doom and gloom that might spill down upon your head if you don't, and one question was "what is your favorite day of the week?"  My answer to that was "any day that I am out and about with friends." 


One of my favorite days would be meeting my friend, L., who lives in New Jersey, just a 25 minute car ride for me.  We never know for sure where we will wind up, it could be a farmers' market or a gourmet food store, Whole Foods, Tuesday Morning, Stein-Mart, Home Goods, Michael's Crafts, all within a 5-mile radius of L's home.  We have been known to conquer all of these places in one afternoon, too.  I seem to enjoy boosting the economy of the state of New Jersey.

Sometimes I have a 'personal tag sale', where L. and her husband, L. , offer items they no longer want or use.  I am always happy to take items off their hands.  I work these items in to posts when I can. 



We always discuss our plants, and even with a small patio, Mr. L.  manages to get lots of tomatoes and herbs.




Check out the size of the parsley leaves!  I didn't plant this year, my outdoor faucet took a hissy fit and I need to find a decent plumber, so I enjoyed seeing their pots.



Our day always includes lunch at our favorite spot, Rigoletto.


It is on Route 35 in Red Bank, New Jersey.  If you find yourself in the area, stop in.  You won't be disappointed. 



We love their Caesar salad with pistachio crusted chicken or shrimp. 

I went with the shrimp and strawberries sprinkled on top

L. stayed loyal to the pistachio chicken


The owner's wife, Maria,  is usually our waitress.  I asked if she would 'share' her recipe for my blog.  She laughed and then looked at me and asked "What's a blog?"  Sorry, guys, I will try to noodle this one out and if it comes close, I'll share.

We often look over vintage items from L.'s mom, and arrange them in little vignettes for our enjoyment.  We reminisce about the good old days.

sugar & creamer are J-Bros with the castle
s&p is unmarked but very very old

We usually finish the day with a cup of espresso that Mr. L. has all ready for us when we return.  In my haste to drink my espresso, I neglected to take a photo!

Sometimes, it is the simple things that give us the most pleasure. 

Thanks, L and L, looking forward to next time!

xo,

27 comments:

  1. Sounds like you had a great day! Love the chairs in the restaurant:@)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that proverb thanks for sharing it

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Barbara:
    We are completely at one with you here. The good company of friends is one of the treasures in life that cannot, in our view, be bettered. And, how lovely your days out with your friend sound to be, especially with the inclusion of a delicious lunch.

    The Johnson Brothers china is well known to us and is so pretty, especially in the dusky red.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Barbara, I love seeing my shopping buddies too! Your friend's little dining set with the adorable heart-backed chairs are adorable. If you manage to get that pistachio chicken recipe please share! It sounds delicious! Linda

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree any day spent with friends is a great day! L & L sound like fun friends.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Barbara,

    That sounds like my kind of perfect day. I laughed at your comment about boosting the economy of New Jersey. After we do a big shopping trip, my husband always says we're single-handedly saving the economy :) I'm glad you enjoyed your visit with your friend. Those really are the best days!

    Hugs,

    Denise at Forest Manor

    ReplyDelete
  7. Friends are absolutely one of God's greatest gifts. I'm so glad that you got to spend time with yours.

    Definitely keep working on Maria. I WANT that recipe!!

    Blessings, Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are so right that it is the simple things that give us the most pleasure.

    I have a certain friend that I love to spend the day with. We haven't gotten together since all of our collective kids got home from college for the summer. I miss it!!

    Your day sounds just delightful to me.

    ReplyDelete
  9. i love the red unbrella and accents and thank you for the recipe - have a great day! i'm glad to see your post on daisy cottage - missed u -

    love ya, maria - cottage feel-
    xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxox

    ReplyDelete
  10. looks like you had a good visit and good food. Wish I had some right now for lunch. Richard at My Old Historic House

    ReplyDelete
  11. Now that is a good husband who prepares an espresso for the returning woman! Your restaurant sounds good and I would like that recipe. I know many people don't know what a blog is! Joni

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Barbara! Oh, looks and sounds like a wonderful time! Simple things are such a blessing, aren't they? Your home looks so pretty and that food - yummy!
    Be a sweetie,
    Shelia ;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Such a wonderful time and so special to share with a friend! Lunch looked yummy!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. sure looks like you and L had a great day! A busy one at that! I am counting the days until I visit :D

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh, that does sound fun to me...and her home and patio are so cute! I'm glad you can spend good times with a friend. :D

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sounds like a wonderful day, Barbara!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi lovely lady.
    I also love a day spent with good Friends sweet lady.

    Thanks so much for your sweet comments on my Tablescape so sweet of you. I hope you have a Great Week. XXOO Diane

    ReplyDelete
  18. Now that sounds like a perfect day! I do hope you could wiggle out the recipe for the pistachio encrusted chicken. That sounds amazing. Lucky you to have your own personal tag sale. Their home looks delightful. I love the little patio. And the little treasures you shared...very interesting salt and pepper.

    - The Tablescaper

    ReplyDelete
  19. It sounds like the perfect day! I think I'm glad that I don't live where "L" does...that is too much temptation in one area!

    ReplyDelete
  20. L has a very pretty house and I love her cute patio set! Her tomato plants look so healthy so I know Mr. L takes good care of them.

    Please get that pistachio chicken recipe --it sounds amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  21. You are right, being with friends is a treat!And it sounds like you had a great day!
    Yvonne

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thank you so much, Barbara, for your nice comment about my embroidery.
    Be a sweetie,
    Shelia ;)

    ReplyDelete
  23. wat a lovely post dear...enjoyed your writeup with excellent clicks..:)
    Tasty Appetite

    ReplyDelete
  24. Loved reading your post this morning Barbara; We also have tomatoes and herbs growing on our deck; summer means fresh.
    Rita

    ReplyDelete
  25. A perfect day.. just like visiting all my blog friends to see what they've been up to. What lovely things to do together.. Many blessings, marlis

    ReplyDelete
  26. Friends are a true gift and a treasure! I loved your post today and I love that you visit my blog and always leave such sweet words for me. Thank you so much for making my day - I'm so happy that I have found a wonderful friend through our blogs - it is a blessing!
    <><
    Concetta

    ReplyDelete
  27. What a lovely time you have with your friend! I loved going about the day with you. What a sweet husband she has to have the espresso waiting for you when you get back.
    Thank you for your sweet comment on my blog!

    ~Shanon

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...