Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Girls that grill

I really enjoy my reversible grill pan/griddle from Wolfgang Puck that I purchased a while ago on that home shopping channel.  About once a week I try to make myself a decent meal that doesn't involve takeout, canned tuna, or peanut butter and jelly.  I felt  in the mood for something just a little different.  I bought a small skirt steak and with an easy recipe from celebrity chef Daisy Martinez, I had a mini fiesta of my own.

The steak was marinating for about an hour.




While the steak was enjoying its tenderizing, I whipped up a quick chimichurri (I made 1/4 of Daisy's recipe for myself of both the sauce and the steak.  With leftovers for lunch).



The thing with chimichurri, its all about the flavor and aroma, the photogenic qualities, not so much.



My favorite "uncle" showed up for dinner (hey, no reason not to include a convenience product into the mix).



I love the sound when the steak hits the griddle.



Love the grill marks

Topped off the rice with a spoonful of leftover Bush's beans


As Daisy would say, buen provencho! (enjoy your meal!)


Skirt Steak with Chimichurri Sauce - Daisy Martinez

12 servings Prep time: 20 min Cook time:  15 min plus 30 min - two days marinating time

Salt and pepper
Four skirt steaks ( about one pound each), trimmed of fat and     cut in half cross-wise
1 teaspoon onion powder
1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
1 tablespoon olive oil
cooking spray

Rub generous amount of salt and pepper into both sides of the steaks.  Rub onion powder into steaks, dividing it evenly. Put the steaks in a container that will hold them (or large Ziploc bag) and sprinkle the vinegar over and brush with olive oil.  Marinate 30 minutes, or refrigerate up to two days.

Heat gas grill to medium-high or heat large grill pan over medium-high heat.

Grill steaks, turning only once, til desired doneness.  If using an indoor grill, sear the outside three minutes.  Rest five minutes.

Thinly slice against the grain before serving.  Drizzle some sauce over meat and pass the rest separately.

Chimichurri

Four cups parsley, 6 cloves garlic  - pulse in food processor

Scrape mixture into a bowl and stir in  1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil, 1/4 cup red wine vinegar, salt & pepper to taste, 1 heaping teaspoon crushed red pepper (optional).  If too tart, add up to 1/4 cup more oil.  Keeps five days in the refrigerator, bring to room temperature before serving


Joining Foodie Friday at Designs by Gollum.  Stop by to find your inspiration to answer the question of  "What's for dinner".

xo










30 comments:

  1. Hi Barbara, Smells really good from here. You are making me hungry. We had burgers on the grill this weekend and they tasted so good. Sometimes I just have to have red meat. We have a few vegitarians in the family, just can't do it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a good looking meal and what a good idea, I'll have to get me one of those grills! ;D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmm...I think I can smell that steak cooking! This looks good. I don't think I've ever cooked with skirt steak, I may have to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks so good. Thanks for sharing. I am a new follower. Please come to visit me as well. Hugs, Ginger

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oooo my husband LOVES chimichurri! That looks really yummy!!! And you bought a set of the pink!! Oh my goodness I'm so jealous!! I do love it and some day I would love to add some more to it. Thanks so much for stopping by!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks GREAT! I have never flipped the lid on the grill but that clearly needs to change! I will bring the watermelon...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Barbara, that sure looks delicious! Looks like I'll be heating up my George Foreman grill very soon :)That sauce is a favorite of mine. So easy and oh so tasty!

    ReplyDelete
  8. wat a fab idea...thanks for sharing dear..
    Tasty Appetite

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello Barbara:
    Having just returned from our few days away with our friends in the country, where we enjoyed the most wonderful grilled meat, we are total converts to the 'power' of the grill.

    As shown here, you clearly had a very delicious meal which was very obviously worth all of the time and trouble taken in preparation.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, Looks yummy♡♡♡
    PLEASE invite me for your meal someday(*^_^*)
    Yesterdays our dinner was "Sukiyaki". Haha, hot one for this season.

    Hug and Love, xoxo Orchid.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This looks great. I don't eat a lot of steak, but this looks easy and yummy and could do it indoors.
    Have a terrific Thursday!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh my this does look amazing! I love anything that involves the grill.

    Thank you so much for your prayer and encouragement these past couple of days. Things are looking a bit brighter this morning. :)

    Blessings, Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yummy! Wish I had been there as your grilling is making my tiny mouth water! :)
    Thanks for popping in to see me.
    Be a sweetie,
    Shelia ;)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh yum!!! Barbara, that meal looks delicious!! Your uncle sure knew the best time to stop in!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh, this looks so good! I am starving so, I need to stop drooling now and go fix something to eat!

    ReplyDelete
  16. This looks like the perfect summer meal; thank you for sharing this one.
    Rita

    ReplyDelete
  17. I want some. Thanks for stopping by and seeing my Epergnes. My magnolias have been blooming and blooming. Richard at My Old Historic House.

    ReplyDelete
  18. This looks delicious, Barbara! I have a George Foreman grill that I love to use as it is so easy to use.

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a beautiful grill pan. That steak looks fantastic and the chimichurri sounds great. I love your Uncle too!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I need to do more of that type cooking. When it is just one, it is hard. Your meal looked very tasty.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi lovely lady.
    This looks so good and tasty sweet lady. This would be good for one of my dinner partys. Thanks so much for your sweet comments on my new tablescape. I hope you have a Great Weekend.
    XXOO Diane

    ReplyDelete
  22. This looks fantastic! Love grilling this time of year :-)

    Thanks for stopping by - hoping you are able to link up later. Must be having some issues or something.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Now that looks good. I need a grill so I can make myself a steak once in awhile. I eat lots of sandwiches also!
    hugs,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  24. You do realize that now I'm trying to say "quick chimichurri" three times fast. Try it. I dare you.

    This looks delicious, and it looks as if you and I have the same favorite uncle. Who knew? We must be related.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Your meal looks wonderful, and I'm sure it was delicious. My uncle comes to dinner fairly often too, several times some weeks. I love having a way to grill inside. With summers so hot here its just to hot to cook outside. Hope your weekend is great.

    ~Emily
    The French Hutch

    ReplyDelete
  26. Oh, man...a great looking meal. We have a Geo. Forman but not like this one of yours.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Thanks everyone, just checking since I've heard from a few people that they can't leave comments, and that is a no-no for me!!! xo,

    ReplyDelete
  28. oh wow. this looks soo good. Something I will be making soon, I saved this recipe! Thanks so much for sharing and for your delightful visit. Many blessings, marlis

    ReplyDelete
  29. I can hear my stomach a-grumbling

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...