Saturday, July 2, 2011

Happy Fourth of July

You have to love a nation that celebrates its independence every July 4, not with a parade of guns, tanks, and soldiers who file by the White House in a show of strength and muscle, but with family picnics where kids throw Frisbees, the potato salad gets iffy, and the flies die from happiness. You may think you have overeaten, but it is patriotism. 

                                                                                                             - Erma Bombeck
                 


I hope all of you will have a glorious day outdoors on Monday, with family and friends, delicious food, cool drinks and, where legal, brilliant fireworks displays.  I am sending prayers to those of you in drought conditions for much-needed rain and cooler temperatures, as fireworks may have to be cancelled.  In New York City, they are against the law and the cops have zero tolerance.  We do enjoy a spectacular display put on by Macy's department store.  It is the largest professional display in America.  The best views are from a boat on the Hudson River,  visiting a friend who lives in Manhattan with views of the Hudson, or from Weehawken, New Jersey.



No celebration of Independence Day would be complete without a flag.  I know here in the States we love our flag, long may She wave, but I wondered if we were aware of flag protocol.  I did some research on the Internet and found some surprising things.  They would be easy to overlook in our haste to make this  Fourth of July our best one yet.  Click here and here if you would like a little refresher.  I never realized how much I didn't know about this.  The flag should never be used as a table cover, or any cover, for that matter.


Since I can't shoot any fireworks or even wave a couple of sparklers and take photos, I leave you with a catchy video that bears the name, at least. 


Let your colors burst!

Joining Seasonal Sundays at the Tablescaper.


xo

30 comments:

  1. I love your post! And I am a huge fan of the U.S. and fireworks and freedom and all of the basic privileges of living here. I have lived all over the world and there is no place like here! Thanks for the beautiful post! Happy 4th of July! Let our banner wave high! Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are so dry here, our large fireworks show has been cancelled. I don't think the city will allow fireworks to be sold. Such a shame as we always enjoy fireworks so much. Not in this dry time, tho.

    O, I would love to find some of S. Branch's older cookbooks. Maybe I can get a new one. I hope to get her 2012 calender, too.
    xo bj

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy 4th of July Weekend Barbara, have fun:@)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy 4th of July! Thanks for the flag protocol. I found it very informative. I love the song Firework.It's a great song and I'll be singing it all day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, National Flags are hoisted!!!
    I've seen several blogs celebrating 4th of July. I'll check your URL tomorrow morning.
    Fireworks are SO beautiful.
    Have a FABULOUS holiday, my friend!!!
    Good Night, from Japan. Orchid.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Fourth to you, too! I know the fireworks will be beautiful, but the crowds coming home are a little overwhelming. I may be watching on television.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy 4th to you!

    I don't know whether they are on or off here. I know they were debating, even though the area where they do them is irrigated.

    I've been thinking about those old timey rain makers. Didn't they shoot fireworks? So... maybe it'll bring rain.

    Either way. Happy Independence Day!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy 4th to you too! I'll do my best to be patriotic and support all of the food offered this weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wonderful post, Barbara and love the quote from Erma! :)
    I wish you a wonderful 4th and that flag flying is most important and says it all!
    Be a sweetie,
    Shelia ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy 4th of July weekend, Barbara!
    Ever since Macy's moved the fireworks display to the Hudson River we don't go to see it live. I wish they would alternate it back to the East River.

    We are enjoying BBQs in our backyard and catching up with things around the house and computer :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love that quote! Nice post. Happy 4th to you and yours.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I used to love the Macy's fireworks when we lived in Brooklyn Heights--we had a perfect view. Now we do the BBQ and overeat, all in the name of patriotism! Linda

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh I would love to see the July Fourth fireworks display you'll be enjoying with your friend in Manhattan. Sounds like a wonderful way to spend the Fourth. Great photos and I'm sure it wouldn't hurt to freshen up on flag protocol. Thanks for a great post.
    Happy Fourth of July

    ~Emily
    The French Hutch

    ReplyDelete
  14. Happy fourth! thanks for sharing. many blessings, marlis

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wonderful post! Happy 4th of July!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hope you have a fun-filled 4th!!
    xo Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  17. Happy Independence Day, Barbara!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love Erma Bombeck's quote! Happy Independence Day to you!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Most everywhere here fire works have been banned. Texas is burning up.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thank you so much for stopping by and visiting Concetta's Cafe today! Yes - I am very Italian! My name actually means "The Immaculate Conception". It is a beautiful family name for every other generation. was named after my beloved Nana and she after hers and bak many generations! One of my children is supposed to name one of their children - Concetta.
    Your comments were so kind - please stop by again!
    <><
    Concetta

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love EB quote..and the pic here..in every heart in every home..America will go on! :D

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wonderful, wonderful post. Hope you had a fabulous 4th!
    Hugs,
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  23. I remember when everyone had to learn flag protocol in scouts or school...somewhere. No doubt many of us have forgotten much of what we learned. We did have a fairly long fireworks display in our little town. The nice thing for us is that we could see it without leaving home!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I heart Katy Perry and I love the Erma Bombeck quote!
    What a lovely Fourth of July posting!

    Hugs~

    ReplyDelete
  25. Thanks for sharing your fourth of July celebration with Seasonal Sundays.

    - The Tablescaper

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...