Saturday, July 16, 2011

I scream You Scream

We all scream for ice cream!     Nothing says summer to me more than ice cream.  When I was a child I could barely eat a bite of my dinner, for as soon as I heard the ringing bells of the Good Humor truck, I was out the door like a lightning bolt.  The ice cream man's name was Phil, and he drove the truck from April 1st until October 1st.  An ice cream pop was 15 cents.  My father would give me a quarter each night, and  I would go on a ride that came around each evening, for 10 cents, and have the rest for my treat.  


When the family would go on a road trip, we always stayed at a Howard Johnson motel.  I was fascinated by the bright orange roof, the swimming pool at the back of the "motor lodge", and, most importantly, their restaurant offered a whopping 28 flavors of ice cream!  Not that it mattered, I always wanted chocolate, with sprinkles.  I still remember my father only ordered vanilla, my mom was a coffee flavor girl, my aunt (always watching her weight) would get sherbet.  Sometimes she would chill and order pistachio.  My uncle was a butter pecan kind of guy.  


When La,  of A Musing Potpourri,  announced her ice cream social for National Ice Cream Day on July 17th, I couldn't narrow it down to one ice cream treat for this post.  I did my top three favorite ice cream desserts, in no particular order:




A root beer float.  One of my first dates when I was in high school was to drive over the Verrazano bridge to Staten Island, play a round of miniature golf, and stop at A&W's drive-thru for a clam roll and root beer float.  The waitresses were definitely "older" but they wore roller skates!  They would glide up to the car, take your order, and roll back carrying your tray.  You could also speak into a little metal box if they didn't notice your car sitting there.


The foam fizzled fast!


These glasses have to be 60 plus years.  There are no markings, but they have a Quaker couple on one side and a church on the other.  I used to call them "Pilgrim" glasses, later on I referred to them as "Sunday " glasses (because of the church).  My mother told me they were for ice cream sodas.  


A hot mess but oh so good!
Next up, peach melba.  This is an easy version.  I used frozen raspberries, put them in the microwave, added sweetener (I used agave) and poured the warm sauce over canned peach slices and a scoop of vanilla.  You can certainly use fresh berries, fresh peaches, grilled peaches, etc.  But I'm lazy.  The dishes and spoons I bought from Lillian Vernon years ago.






Last but not least, a black raspberry ice cream pie, with cream and lemon curd topping in a sugar cone crust.  This recipe is adapted from the Gingercreek Cooking School in New Jersey (they are very small and have no website). 


Original recipe called for strawberry ice cream with lime curd.  I could not find either strawberry ice cream (?!) or lime curd, and I checked several stores.  The conical ice cream scoop is an homage to Howard Johnson, as their scoops were always triangular, not rounded.  My scoops failed as it wouldn't release easily.


Wrapped in plastic to keep in freezer until I made the topping
You need a box of 12 sugar cones, crush them in a food processor and add 6 tablespoons of unsalted butter, melted, press in bottom and up sides of a 9-in. pie plate.  Put in freezer until cold.  Add scoops of softened ice cream pressing down and smoothing the top.  I used about half of a half-gallon container.  Wrap tightly with plastic wrap and put back in the freezer.  Whip an 8 oz. container of whipping cream til soft peaks, carefully fold in lemon curd (I used half of a 10 oz. jar), whip lightly to combine and spread over pie.  Serve immediately or re-wrap and store in freezer.







These desserts were prepared over the course of a week, not all in one day :-) .  Just sayin'.  






I hope you enjoyed them.  I will be joining the following linky parties.  Please be sweet and drop by.  A big thank you to all our hostesses.


I put the slice back!  I felt a little guilty, and I want to save this for a special houseguest

Seasonal Sundays at The Tablescaper

xo

38 comments:

  1. Save some -- I'll be right over!!!
    xo Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  2. ooh now those look good.. peach melba it's been ages... Happy Summer, many blessings, marlis

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your fun glasses Barbara! I used to order black raspberry ice cream at the Baskin Robbins as a kid, haven't had it in years! Your pie looks great, I'd love a slice:@)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Barbara!

    Thank you for sharing so many delicious treats with us. The pie looks especially tasty. I love your cute little ice cream dishes and your story about Phil is sweet.

    Have a great weekend! La

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, Barbara♪
    I enjoyed your story about family trip and your first date. I never knew root beer float. Sounds really enjoyable days you had☆☆☆

    Love your sweets version. It's SUMMER♫♫♫

    Blessing to you, Orchid.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for a trip down memory lane! Good Humor Oh how I remember!I remember standing on the curb hopping on and off with my friends shouting He's on he's on he's on this block!As for Howard Johnson's that's where my mom and Dad would always take my sister and I for our birthday dinner. The fried clams were my favorite and the ice cream sodas were the best!Such happy times :) Just to let you know you are going to have a very happy houseguest :D Well it's off to visit La and The Ice Cream Social

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my...I remember too. And if people don't stop talking about ice cream everyday around here in blog land, I am going to be so fat! Every time someone mentions it, I have to go to the freezer for some! ;D

    ReplyDelete
  8. I liked your recounting of your Ice Cream history. And your three ice cream goodies are all so delicious looking. I almost did rootbeer floats for my post and still have the makings so they are on the agenda for sometime this week. I don't think I've actually ever had the peach melba but it sure looks pretty. The pie sounds to die for. Love the idea of the cone crust. Thanks so much for coming to the Social. We'll do it again next year!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, this all looks so delicious!!! So nice to meet you at the ice cream social~

    XO
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a lovely nostalgic post, I hope that there's some pie left, I'm on my way!
    Maggie

    ReplyDelete
  11. This post was woven with snippets from my own childhood. I do believe we are of a similar vintage. :)

    LOVVVVVVED the recipes....but I adored the ice cream cone dishes!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hello Barbara:
    We can feel our waistlines expandingjust looking at these delicious ice-cream confections! Luckily, we are spoilt for choice for ice cream in Budapest as the Hungarians really love it. So many different flavours and a number of the smaller Cucraszdas make their ice cream. For us, we still do not think that a good vanilla ice cream, complete with evidence of vanilla pod, is hard to beat!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh, yummy, Barbara! This looks so delicious!! Thanks for popping in to see me and have a wonderful Groovy Sunday!
    be a sweetie,
    shelia ;)

    ReplyDelete
  14. These all look so good! I remember A & W and rootbeer floats also! Oh so good. Growing up I was a vanilla girl and now I love Butter Pecan! yum...I think I might have to have some ice cream today...it's only right since it's their holiday...right?
    hugs,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love the ice cream history! I loved those A & W Root Beer floats as a kid. Happy Ice Cream Day!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh, I do love a good rootbeer float! Yummy!

    I remember going to Howard Johnsons restaurants as a child, too. My fondest desert item was a chocolate lollypop. You could get them in different "flavors" doo. Oh how I loved them!

    The ice cream truck was a special part of summer. It was a treat to be able to get an ice cream. Why did they always taste better coming from the ice cream truck?

    Such sweet summer memories!

    ReplyDelete
  17. We didn't stay at Howard Johnson's when I was a child. We were Holiday Inn people or stayed in motels that weren't chains, but we would stop for ice cream and sometimes for dinner. I remember the fried clams and the pistachio ice cream. It wasn't something we did often and it was always such a treat to eat out on a vacation. My mom was usually cooking in our kitchenette in the motel.

    ReplyDelete
  18. These all look sinful -- and I may raid the freezer soon. I really miss the Lillian Vernon catalog.

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a wonderful medley of desserts! Love your dishes...

    ReplyDelete
  20. Root Beer Ice Cream Floats bring back sweet memories of visiting my grandmother in the summertime.YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Each and every one look so yummy.
    Thanks for being a part of Seasonal Sundays.

    - The Tablescaper

    ReplyDelete
  22. o, Root Beer floats are my favorite. I can remember as a kid, my dad taking me to the A&W Root Beer stand for a float in a frosted mug...ummmm

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oh goodness! I'm going to gain weight if you keep this up. You always make me hungry...

    Blessings, Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love white ice cream with orange soda. YUM<YUM! Richard at My Old Historic House

    ReplyDelete
  25. Your desserts look wonderful...I wish I could reach through my computer for a taste! lol I love ice cream...all desserts really. Thank you for stopping by and your words of encouragement.
    I will pray for you.
    Blessings My Friend,

    ReplyDelete
  26. I missed La's party link up by a day, but I also have an ice cream treat on my blog as it is hard to resist such a treat in summer. I love your root beer choice and that float looks soooo good!

    PS A little birdie told me that you and a friend are thinking of going to Arthur Ave! Make sure to go on a Saturday as almost everyhting is closed on Sunday! Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  27. They all look wonderful on this hot NY July day!. I haven't had a float i years.
    We used to make them with cream soda too!

    ReplyDelete
  28. I had a float in celebration of National Ice Cream Day, too! Cute blog; I stumbled upon you looking for an apple/sausage recipe! I'll be back. :)

    ReplyDelete
  29. My very favorite things about this post are your vintage glasses. How special to have them.

    And this last ice cream pie with crushed sugar cones and lemon curd...ohhhhhh, wow. I must try some, though I refuse to ever make lemon curd again, I believe I know where to purchase some.

    ReplyDelete
  30. I will take some of the Peach Melba as I have heard of it but never had any before AND we have a young chicken that my daughter named Melba;). They all look good and it's okay by me if you made and consumed them in one day -- just saying'! Joni

    ReplyDelete
  31. Barbara these are amazing!! How fun. I loved your memories here. I too remember the ice cream man in my neighborhood, his name was Barry!! I always love a good root beer float! Cheers and have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  32. ohhh..such a lovely post...awesome clicks dear..!
    Tasty Appetite

    ReplyDelete
  33. Barbara Love the memories and you brought back a few of mine. still miss the drive ins with the roller skaters.. My Granddaughter is visiting and I think I will try my version of your ice cream pie. Love the idea of using sugar cones for the crust..

    ReplyDelete
  34. Barb, I just loved your ice cream related stories! Adorable! And your 2 great ice cream treats have me so hungry for a big old scoop!

    I answered the question you left about my garden on my post~ I added your qestion to the end and answered it.
    Yvonne

    ReplyDelete
  35. Hi lovely lady. I love all your ice cream sweet lady. Im on my way over to see you OK...
    Thanks so much for your lovely comments on my new Tablescape ( Patio Dinner Party } you are so sweet... I hope you and your lovely family have a Great Week.
    XXOO Diane

    ReplyDelete
  36. That is so funny that you remember the ice cream truck driver's name! I can't remember the guy in our neighborhood at all. I'm going to have to put together a root beer float one of these days. It has been YEARS!!! I'm old enough to remember all these fun treats and the "metal box" you spoke into at the drive-in. Those were the days! Thanks for the memories!!!

    ReplyDelete
  37. Everything looks so good! And it's definitely hot enough to enjoy ice cream right now! I love those cute ice cream cone dishes...makes it taste even better! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  38. You REALLY know what to do with ice cream! Do they still have Howard Johnsons, I wonder?
    Brenda

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...