Friday, July 1, 2011

A Southern Heart

I do have a soft spot for Southern living, the ambiance of a Southern lifestyle.  You know, mild (er) winters, a pretty pastel painted home with a veranda, sipping a cool glass of sweet tea, bougainvillea climbing up a trellis, wicker furniture, a peach tree in the yard.  And, I would just love to have a magnolia tree.  I have never seen or smelled a real one, but I love them just the same. 




I unexpectedly found these dishes yesterday when I was supposed to be "just looking".  Somehow, "just looking" never works out for me.  At $1.99 for a three-piece place setting, and with my favorite flower on them*, I just had to buy them.  Coffee mugs were .99 cents each. 



I had other dishes originally planned for the 2nd Monthly Thrifty Tablescaping party at The Thrifty Groove, but I'll use them another time.



I replaced the salad plates with the soup bowls.  I was feeling more "shrimp and grits" than lettuce.  The fabric place mats (.99 cents each) and napkins (8 for $2.99, 100% cotton) came from the same store, Lot-Less Closeouts.


The napkin rings never made it to dinner, even though they are the right color, as they are too narrow for the restaurant-style napkins.   

The flatware I bought about three years ago at the Christmas Tree Shop, but I don't remember the price.  I think  20 pieces for four was about $10.00. 



The glasses were from my friend L's garage, as she didn't need them, were never used  and was ready to toss them into the trash.  I gladly took  all six plus a very nice pitcher, off her hands.  I don't remember the name but they were made in Mexico.  Thanks, L.!  xo




The centerpiece basket is at least forty years old.  It was filled with jams and jellies sent to us for Christmas by a family member.  I recall I was in high school at the time.  It has held many rolls, bagels, baguettes, dish towels, ornaments, pumpkins, gourds, and Beanie Babies (not at the same time, of course). 



The magnolia swag is from a Home Interiors show I hosted about six years ago.  I would say it is the most expensive thing on this table, but I don't remember the price.  The straw bird was an ornament on a gift I received for my last birthday.  The oval bakers in the exact green to match these dishes were $1.49 each at Lot-Less.  Oven-dishwasher-microwave safe, they are perfect for seafood Newburgh, scalloped potatoes or peach crisp.



The recap:  four 3-pc. place settings @ 1.99 ea  = $7.96
                     four mugs @.99 cents ea                    = $3.96
                     place mats 4 @ .99 cents ea               = $3.96
                     oval bakers  4 @ 1.49 ea                     =  $5.96
                     napkins 4 @ .37 cents ea                     = $1.48
                     flatware 20 pc. for 4                            = $10.00
                     glasses                                                        (free)
                     basket/bird                                               (free)
                     swag                                                                 ?
                                                                                          _____
                                                                                         $33.32



I definitely was thinking of my Southern blogging buddies while setting up.   For those states dealing with drought conditions, I hope the rain falls softly and steadily, but only while you are asleep!


Please be sure to stop by this Saturday at The Thrifty Groove.  Lots of lovely and thrifty tables to be seen. 

xo,

(*) Thank you Debbie for verifying that they are indeed magnolias and not dogwood.  :-)

15 comments:

  1. As a Southerner born and bred I can tell you there is nothing as lovely as the scent of magnolias wafting through a summer breeze. Magnolias and gardenias are my quintessential southern flowers.

    Thanks for sharing those beautiful plates!

    Hugs~

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post with a southern theme, and it looks like it came off the pages of Southern Living. Your centerpiece is perfect for your china. Love it........
    Happy Fourth of July.

    ~Emily
    The French Hutch

    ReplyDelete
  3. This southern blogging buddy thinks it's just "peachy".

    I would say "magnolia-y" but that's not a word, not even in the south.

    Believe it or not, I have that same swag. I'm positive it's the same one. It's over the fixture in a bathroom here.

    This is terrific, and I wish that I had a full set of those dishes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the picture that you paint of southern life -- magnolias are amazing. What great finds you have found and I love the plates and the green oval bakers -- I would have been all over this. I am going to join the Thrift Groove soon for this fun party because I hardly ever have anything on my table that is expensive and I love a deal. Joni

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's a very pretty table Barbara! Love the oval bakers, I'd say we need a Lot-Less around here, the prices are great! Happy July 4th Weekend:@)

    ReplyDelete
  6. What beautiful dishes; I remember many years ago, my sister had a set that looked just like yours.
    Rita

    ReplyDelete
  7. So lovely! Your dishes are the best, and I like your flatware and mix of placemats.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just beautiful Barbara!I could just picture you down those isles of lot-less. No question they would make it into your cart!Love the centerpiece with that little birdie peeking out.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love it Barbara~!A beautiful table. I still can't believe you got that gorgeous set of dishes at such an amazing price! Table well done! Thank you for joining TT and have an awesome weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Barbara,
    What a beautiful table you've set. I sure wish we had a store like Lot-Less. I just love those green baking dishes. Magnolia trees are magnificent, but I don't want one in my yard. The leaves drop off and produce a mess that you have to constantly clean. But the flowers are gorgeous.I admire them in other people's yards and on your table.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Barbara, I love your magnolia dinnerware, and what a great price you got! Diann would be proud. :-)
    I read your 4th of July entry too and I enjoyed your post. Enjoy the fireworks!
    Blessings, Beth

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very pretty magnolia table! Seems like I have the best luck when I am "just looking" and when I don't pick up a basket or cart. :)

    You found some great bargains at Lot-Less. It's probably a good thing we don't have one around here.

    Your centerpiece is just perfect on the table. Nice!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow I missed this earlier.. I love magnolias and trust me those dishes would have JuMpEd into my cart too.. Love the table with all the pretties you pulled together. It's so pretty and very southern! many blessings, marlis

    ReplyDelete
  14. I actually came over here after seeing your button on Jo's sidebar, but I saw this post and I'm doing a link up right now on my blog for great treasure finds - you could link this very post if you wanted :-) Giving away a set of vintage peanut butter parfait dishes to one random person that joins in :-) Anyhow, you got some great deals w/ all of this!

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a lovely table. The soft cream of Magnolias is amazing against that dark green. Love your thrifty choices!
    hugs,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...