Sunday, August 14, 2011

Celebrity Cook Along with Rachael Ray




Our friend Lynn, at Happier Than A Pig in Mud, has selected Rachael Ray as our celebrity chef for August.   I researched lots of recipes, but when my friend Kathleen who is visiting with me this week said she was in the mood for mac 'n cheese, with bacon (sorry Earl!, I found this recipe to be the one to make.



Comfort food at its best.  Although this recipe for mac 'n cheese doesn't get baked, I poured the finished product into my "bubble and brown" dish from Ray's product line.  I love to use it any chance I get.


RR's Mac and Cheese Lorraine


Prep: 10 min.  Cook:  25 minutes  Yield:  4 servings


1 lb. short-cut pasta, gemelli, penne, farfalle 
1 tablespoon evoo
1/2 lb bacon, chopped
2 small onions, quartered and thinly sliced
1/2 cup dry white wine (I substituted chicken stock)
2 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons flour (I messed up a teeny bit and used only 1)
1 cup chicken stock
1 cup milk
freshly ground black pepper
2 cups shredded Gruyere cheese
pinch of freshly ground nutmeg
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard


Cook pasta in boiling salted water and cook to al dente.  While waiting for water to boil, heat oil in a deep skillet over medium-high heat.  When hot, add bacon and and crisp, 5-6 minutes (mine took a few minutes more).  Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towels.  Add onions and cook 10 minutes until soft and beginning to caramelize  (I cooked a bit longer til I liked the color).  Add wine (or broth) and cook out, 1 minute (took a few minutes longer).  While onions cook, heat a sauce pot over medium high heat.  Add butter, melt and whisk in flour.  Cook 1 minute, then whisk in stock and milk and bring to a bubble.  Thicken a few minutes, then season with salt & pepper.  Melt in cheese, stirring in a figure 8 motion with a wooden spoon.  Add nutmeg and mustard, adjust salt & pepper.


Drain pasta, top with onions and stir in cheese sauce to coat.  Top with crispy bacon and serve.  Yumm-o as Rach would say!




We barely got the table set we were so anxious to eat!!  Kathleen said she was happy she picked a Celebrity Cook Along weekend to be here.





And the 2nd best part?  Leftovers!!




I will also be joining


Stone Gable for On the Menu Monday
Designs by Gollum for Foodie Friday
Jenny Matlock for Alphabe-Thursday for the Letter
R for Rachael Ray

xo

36 comments:

  1. The mac and cheese looks great Barbara, nice teamwork between you and Kathleen! The mustard and Gruyere make this recipe different. I keep hearing great things about the Bubble and Browns... Thanks so much for playing along:@)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh,yum! My favorite dish!, Barbara.


    Would you be so kind to (& tell your friends) comment on my BLOG ONLY (emails don't count), for the Miracle Makeover fund drive. Charlie, 8 yr. old, & his story are fabulous. Every comment brings us a $1 for the next person that will be sponsored.

    Have a beautiful weekend.
    Hugs,
    TTFN ~
    Marydon
    blushingrosetoo.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, I look forward to forging a wonderful friendship with you.

    TTFN ~ Marydon

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum-O is right! I love mac and cheese and I love those green Rachel Ray dishes!

    Have a nice week with your friend Kathleen ...so sorry it has been a reainout so far..we are going to have to build an ark if this keeps up! :(

    ReplyDelete
  5. There wouldn't be any leftovers in my house. This looks completely yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Barbara♡♡♡
    I am SO GLAD for you and your friend's HAPPY TIME☆☆☆
    Being with friends on BIRTHDAY is really good.
    Yummy didh and SUPER setting as well. Haha, expect cheese♬♬♬

    Lots of love and Hugs xoxo, Orchid.

    ps> Busy Busy, having guests many times. Tomorrow may be the last guests (hubby's bro family), whew... Sorry my belated comment

    ReplyDelete
  7. It looks delicious and so different! I've never had mac and cheese with bacon.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My husband is a superb cook. SUPERB! He would love this recipe. Do you want to hear the craziest thing? The macaroni and cheese I've always loved best is Kraft's. Shhhhh! I haven't had it in 25 years, but nothing has ever stood up to all those chemicals! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh yeah I love comfort food and easy fast meals,this is a favorite.
    Looks delish,Barb!
    ~Jo

    ReplyDelete
  10. Who doesn't love mac and cheese. This recipe takes M & C to a new level. Thanks for a new take on the old standby. I am always looking for something new. My family will love this.
    Hugs, Ginger

    ReplyDelete
  11. The more RR recipes I see today the more I'm liking her style!
    Quick and easy meals like this are what we like, not sure there would be any leftovers though!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Pasta is my favorite and this looks amazing. Can't wait to try it. Mona

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh yes, the perfect comfort food indeed!

    Blessings, Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  14. YUMMO! This is right up my alley... pasta, cheese and BACON! Wonderful recipe. This will certainly be ON THE MENU MONDAY!
    Look for it in an upcoming September OTMM with a link back to your post. Thank you for bringing this Rachel Ray dish to ON THE MENU MONDAY!
    Yvonne

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your Mac N Cheese looks delicious. Just stopping by from OTMM thanks for sharing and have a great week!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  16. Mac n Cheese and Bacon~ what a winning combination! I'm thinking there wouldn't be any leftovers at my house :-)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I like the idea that you don't have to turn the oven on! Yum! Oh!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I've never had bacon in mac and cheese...yum! This looks really great!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hmmmm, looks delish! I am just starving right now too. I wondered how these bubble & brown dishes were...appears as though you are very pleased. I'm probably one of very few people in that I just cannot watch Rachael Ray ~ she drives me crazy with that EVOO thing and a few others ~ but she does have some great recipes. Thanks so much for sharing this!

    Hey, I finally got Blogger and the powers that be to let me "follow" you!! Yay ~ :-)

    Take care ~
    xo
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  20. This is a keeper for my collections; my guys are ALL addicted to bacon. This will be so Speical for them; thank you and Rachel.
    Rita

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love food and this looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  22. This looks wonderful ! I bet it would even be good cold.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Looks fabulous! Definitely comforting and yummy :)Always nice to see these recipes cooked by real people.

    Visiting from Alphabe-Thursday!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oh boy, does that ever look good!

    =)

    ReplyDelete
  25. I love mac & cheese and when the cheese is gruyere, it just has to be way better. I'll be trying this next time we're in the mood for comfort food.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Looks delicious! And I really like your table setting!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Looks so delicious...I have some serious bacon lovers in this house too!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Oh my! That does look amazing! I love the bacon (haha too funny that you thought to say "Sorry Earl!" :o)

    And that was great that you have your friend Kathleen there to enjoy your delish dish!

    Blessings & Aloha!
    Thank you so much for your sweet comment and lovely visit!

    ReplyDelete
  29. That looks very goooood!~Ames :)

    ReplyDelete
  30. I've never tried this. It looks delicious!! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  31. This is some serious comfort food! I would be tempted to add a little more cheese on the top and run it under the broiler for a few minutes.

    ReplyDelete
  32. I just ate and after seeing this and reading the recipe, I'm ready to eat again. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  33. This looks so delicious. I'm gonna have to make it soon.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...