Thursday, September 1, 2011

Staycation Lunch

Never eat more than you can lift.   -   Miss Piggy


Thanks, M & J!  


When my friend Kathy comes in for a visit, we usually have a luncheon with her sister, Maureen, and her childhood friend, June.  Since Maureen is planning to move to Virginia by early 2012, I decided to do  a 'Southern- style' luncheon; or what a Yankee girl thinks is that style :) .  


June (l), Maureen (c), Kathy (r)


Since I was on my "staycation",  I  was interested in easy breezy entertaining.   I think we all had a really good time.




There is a supermarket here that makes the best fried chicken, and if you give them a day's notice, it will be piping hot out of the fryer for you at whatever time you ask to pick it up; my "baked" beans of choice are Bush's (that Irish setter knows what he is 'talking' about); and even Paula Deen herself has been known to use a canned biscuit (I know 'cause I watch her show!).  I did exert myself a little bit, and made my potato salad.  I couldn't give you specific measurements, it is way too much fun to "eyeball it" and have someone else (in this case, Kathy) do a taste test.   


I needed a second look, ah, memories!
Couple of pounds of red bliss and Yukon gold potatoes (small ones, skin on, halved or quartered and boiled til tender), I love hard boiled eggs in my potato salad, makes it more delicious, red onion minced, celery diced (not this time), good mayo, spoonful of mustard, s&p, fresh dill and carefully mix.  Keep chilled (overnight is best) and enjoy.


Let's talk dessert.  I was happy to bid on two items lovingly baked by the very  talented Concetta of the Cafe fame, who was one of the participants in Baking Up A Cure sponsored by Lark's Country Heart.  


Concetta's Cafe award-winning brownies


Concetta's chocolate chip crumb coffee cake (c x 6 = yum)


I won both, and they arrived in time from Florida for this luncheon, and it was the win that kept on giving, as each of the girls took some home!   I was able to sponsor a walker for the Susan G. Komen Breast Cancer Walk.  (I lost a dear friend 13 years ago to breast cancer.)


Joining Designs by Gollum for Foodie Friday,
Stone Gable for On The Menu Monday,
 Honey at 2805 for her first Potpourri Party
and Seasonal Sundays at The Tablescaper.


xo

23 comments:

  1. Looks like a great lunch Barbara, sure you all had a fun time! I recognize the bread basket, I have one in white:@)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely lunch Barbara! Such a delicious looking meal. That coffee cake looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks fantastic!! I love fried chicken...just rarely have it 'cause I don't fry anymore. You are fortunate to have such a neat place to order from. The desserts look wonderful too!

    If you should happen to become involved in another charity function such as this, please let me know. It seems like there have been so many friends and family members that have had cancer and I like to support causes.

    xo
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum...and what better to end a meal,than CHOCOLATE!
    ~Jo

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your "southern" style. A relaxed hostess makes for a great visit. I am new to your blog, so I took some time to browse through your earlier posts. I'm so glad I did that. You've created a lovely spot for your readers to visit and I really enjoyed the time I spent here. I'll be back. I hope you have a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  6. Having a staycation lunch with close friends sounds like a very fun idea. Love the looks of that coffee cake. Can you please pass me a piece?

    Thanks for linking to Potpourri Friday and helping to make it a success! I appreciate you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Barbara,
    The lunch looks so delicious. And those desserts make my mouth water.
    Thank you for visiting me and your sweet comment. I did crochet all those doilies myself as I love crocheting.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Finger-licking good stuff you got there! Now I'm hungry.
    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dear Barbara,
    Oh such a gorgeous time with your friends. As usual I LOVE to try these cakes♡♡♡
    Sweet memories sure deserve or can't help have a second look, don't they♬♬♬
    I never knew the word "staycation", I thought what kind of cation you needed, haha. Thank you very much.
    Lots of love and Hugs to you xoxo, Orchid.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Barbara, Thanks again for your hospitality. We certainly did have a wonderful get together. Maureen's plans are going full speed ahead. Our next road trip just might be
    Virginia!Maureen and June are still talking about your potato salad. Concetta's deserts were fabulous.I cut the brownies into small pieces and put them in the freezer for future deliciousness!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Barbara, you did a fabulous making a southern luncheon. It looks like a great time was had by all.
    Hugs, Ginger

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hello Barbara:
    Apart from having great fun with your friends, who do indeed look most jolly, your idea for a 'Southern-style' luncheon looks to have been a really good one and one which, we are sure, proved to be delicious.

    Have a happy weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  13. You're my kind of entertainer, Barbara. It looks scrumptious and, goodness knows, the ladies were gathered to share time with each other....which makes everything taste fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Now, that's what a southerner would call "some good eatin' " I would say you did a great Virginia lunch.

    I also wanted to tell you how much I love LOVED the post below on Arthur Avenue. I would be so delighted to visit there. The grotto at the end was so lovely, and I really liked the part about the flower and your "duly noted" prayer.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Delicious.. And thanks for the 'permission' to use prepared foods once in awhile! Sometimes we get legalistic and miss opportunities!

    Blessings, Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  16. O, gosh, girl..fried chicken, baked beans, biscuits and potato salad...now that's about as southern as you can get. Yummy...I know these ladies loved every bite of it...and then, that dessert. Sounds sooo good. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Barbara,
    Thank you so much for your kind words! I am happy to have blessed you and your friends with treats for the "staycation"! You were so generous in your bids - so glad you won!!
    Have a wonderful weekend, dearest friend!
    Love,
    Concetta

    ReplyDelete
  18. A delicious meal is made even better wn shared with friends! Looks great - including (especially) Concetta's cake and brownies. I would love to have joined you for this fabulous lunch!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Lots of yummy treats. You know, I don't live that far from Staten Island. I may just show up on your door step one of these days.

    - The Tablescaper

    ReplyDelete
  20. Staycation + good friends + great food = heaven on earth.

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a great time! And what a fun lunch idea!

    Our family walks in "race for the cure" in Oregon every year. How thoughtful of you to support it! It is so hard loosing friends to such an awful disease!!

    Have a happy Labor Day!

    ReplyDelete
  22. What a wonderful shared day with loved ones. And the best is that you could enjoy without being a slave in the kitchen. Such a nice staycation.
    Hugs,
    Ellen

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...