Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Ode to Trader Joe's

At long last,  Trader Joe's opened last Friday on Staten Island.  I know this is certainly not earth shattering, but my life just got a little better.   :)  I got up extra-early to be at the Grand Opening.




TJ's is just about my favorite food store.  It is geared toward singles or couples, they are conscientious with their products as far as not selling chemically loaded fake foods, lots of organic and vegan choices, prepared specialty foods, and pretty decent prices.  They sell pretty flowers, and for this season, they had loads of pumpkins, gourds and apples.  It is an 'offbeat', but fun place to discover somewhat 'exotic' yet affordable luxuries and treats.  Tea tree oil body wash and shampoo are favorites of mine.  They will not be selling their famous wine here :(.




I have been going to TJ's in New Jersey, but now that our bridge tolls have gone up to $9.50, I am being forced to stay "local".   ($9.50 with E-Z Pass, cash is $12.00).  So TJ's right here is a good thing.




There were folks from all age groups busily perusing the shelves.  


The team of sales people were so attentive, my friend Diane asked if they sold anything cold she could drink right away, the young fellow went and brought back an assortment of beveridges for her to choose!  




This couple asked a young associate if they could get a flower lei like she was wearing -- she took it off and put it on the lady.  TJ's usually has a Hawaiian theme in their stores.




The decor features colorful art of Staten Island landmarks.  The stand where they give out samples is called "Outerbridge Diner", there is the "South Beach Deli", the customer service desk is called "Lighthouse", etc.  Even the cash registers are named for different bodies of water surrounding us. 






I was in Foodie Heaven.  This was Diane's first visit to a TJ's, and she will be a good customer.  She loved it!


I managed to exert good self-control while charging down the aisles and throwing one of everything into my cart "perusing".  These items are my all-time favorites




Mandarin orange chicken, vegetable fried rice, multi grain croissants (which you can bake individually), broccoli and cheddar quiche,  steel cut oatmeal which goes in the microwave, individual turkey meatloaf muffins layered with parmesan mashed potatoes and spinach,  and medium roast coffee. 


I think this will be a weekly trip for me.  If you have a TJ's where you live, I'd love to know what are your favorite items.  Any disappointing products??


xo

25 comments:

  1. Cara Barbara,ho gradito la visita a questo supermercato.Io sono abituata a vedere sempre quelli italiani e mi fa piacere vedere anche i prodotti di altre parti del mondo.Mia figlia qualche anno fa ha fatto una vacanza negli Stati Uniti e ha comprato pure quella bottiglietta d'acqua.La bottiglia a me è piaciuta e l'ho conservata.Un bacione,Rosetta

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Trader Joe's! I don't have one real close but we do go monthly. My guy is addicted to their coffee. I like lots of their products. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lucky you.. I wish we had one here. Oh well. 9.50 toll fees, oh that hurts.. thanks for sharing.. have fun at TJ's.. xo marlis

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love TJ's but we don't have one near Huntsville. I'll have to live vicariously through your posts!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Barbara; you are soo lucky; I have read so much about Trader Joe's and would give anything to go. I relly don't think they are in Canada; thank you for your kind words.
    Rita

    ReplyDelete
  6. We have one in St.Louis, 70 miles for me now, but when I lived there I loved to shop there. Richard from My old Historic House.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Trader Joe's put a new store in my neighborhood last year and I've been in heaven ever since!
    You are going to LOVE this!
    Hugs~

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm addicted to their Apple Butter (only available in the fall and winter)! It's great layered with Nutela/honey/cinnamon and waffles. My roommate really likes their Honey Wheat pretzels.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are soooo lucky! I just can't believe we don't have them in our area although one has been promised in Dallas. IF/when it opens, I'll be there!

    Thanks so much for sharing ~
    xo
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  10. Woot! A Trader Joe's close to you and no tolls to get there! Loved the store employee who gave up the lei to a customer - that's the kind of staff that sets them apart!
    xo Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  11. Looks like a fun place to shop! We don't have one around here, or a Whole Foods or a Christmas Tree Shoppes... that's a bummer!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've heard of Trader Joes, but I have never been to one. I need to ask the husband if they have any in Atlanta.
    It sounds like as much of an adventure as a shopping trip.

    Tolls at $9.50?? Jiminy!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Crikey, a $9.50 tole? That would keep me home.
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  14. We don't have a TJ's but I sure wish we did! We have Whole Foods Marketplace. I think TJ's is not as expensive. My sister lives in LA and she always is going to TJ's.
    Thank you for your sweet comment on my blog! I do hear about the Scentsy line and it might be time for me to look into that! ;)

    ~Shanon

    ReplyDelete
  15. There is a Trader Joes near where I work, but I've never checked it our.

    Holy Cow, with tolls like that, I would stay local too!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I like to hit TJ's every so often for unique items- I stick with my regular grocer for the everyday stuff. I like the samples and I buy coffee from my home state of New Mexico there. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi! Dear Barbara.
    Oh, I was wondering what "Ode to" means. You rejoiced the opening of
    "Trader Joe"(*^_^*)
    Sure must have been worth waking up early. Nice shopping place and happy for you not costing you more for going farther place, enjoyed your pictures♬♬♬
    Especially, lei was given to the lady!!! What a sweet scene, my friend.
    Love and lots of Hugs to you from east, Orchid*

    ReplyDelete
  18. YA! I love TJ's - get their french macarons so so so good, some get crumbly but it is so worth it. Have a great day!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh how I love thee, Trader Joe's!:-)

    I use the tea tree oils shampoos and soaps and absolutely love them...among other things at TJ's.

    Ours is an hour from home and if we move to the hills and hollers of the Ozarks, it will be three hours from home!:-(

    Wonderful post Barbara!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Can you believe what tolls cost now here in NY????? Really, it is outrageous ! I am very pessimistic about the whole economy and the future economy, people just cannot afford this.
    Love,
    Lorraine

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love TJ too and can appreciate how you feel. Our TJ opened about 20 minutes away about a year ago, and I am there at least twice a month if not more. LOVE IT.. I buy raw cashews, organic raisins, gluten free crackers, 21 salute no salt seasoning, frozen artichokes,brown rice pasta, fresh produce at about 1/3 of the price anywhere else. enjoy

    ReplyDelete
  22. For those who have one on every corner it may not be blogworthy, but to those of us who have longed for a Trader Joes for years, I would be shouting it from the rooftops too! You just enjoy and enjoy! I always bring a spare suitcase and fill up when I travel somewhere that they have one.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love Trader Joe's and visit almost every week. :) I haven't tried a product that I don't like yet. Associates are friendly and store is nice and neat. Prices are reasonable too, that's why I love to shop there. I especially love their Columbia instant coffee. I drink and bake with it all the time. Good there's a store opened near where you live, finally.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oh my what a delightful store and staff.... a shame not one in Canada.

    ReplyDelete
  25. What a lovely post about trader joes ! We are so lucky to have customers like you. So glad I finally found the link :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...