Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Nudie

Well. I think I may have captured your attention! Actually, the word is gnudi, a ricotta and spinach dumpling.  Gnudi means "nude", as these are the filling of ravioli without the outer dough covering.  Today, March 20th, happens to be Ravioli Day.  The recipe is in this beautiful cookbook




Cucina Povera  means "poor kitchen".  Written by leading cookbook authority Pamela Sheldon Johns, this cookbook has more than sixty recipes inspired by the peasant cooking of the region of Tuscany, teaching the philosophy of not wasting good food and using technique to make it as tasty as possible.




I won this in a giveaway several months ago from Marie at Proud Italian Cook.  I spent some quiet time prior to eye surgery reading this cook book.  It is beautifully bound, deckle edges on its pages and lots of photos.  The recipes are traditional Tuscan peasant food.  I say there is nothing "poor" about cooking and eating from God's bounty.


Gnudi


3/4 cup steamed spinach
3/4 cup whole-milk ricotta cheese
1/2 cup grated pecorino or Parmigiano Reggiano cheese
2 large egg yolks (I saved the whites for breakfast)
1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
3 cups tomato sauce


In a large bowl, combine spinach, ricotta, grated cheese and egg yolks.  Stir to blend and stir in the nutmeg and salt to taste. Stir in the flour, mixing just enough to pull the mixture together.




Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil.  Heat the tomato sauce and spread a thin layer of it over the bottom of a13 x 9 baking dish. Set aside.  (I used a muc smaller pan)


Using two tablespoons, (I just used my hands) shape and compact the ricotta mixture into ovals and drop them directly into the boiling water in batches, so as not to crowd them.  They will float to the top after 3 or 4 minutes.  




Using a slotted spoon or skimmer, transfer them to the baking dish. Keep warm in a low oven.  Spoon remaining sauce over the top.  Continue until all are done and serve at once.  I made 12.  I think 3 is a nice serving as a first course, so this recipe would serve 4 in my house.  Recipe states it serves 6.


The oval shape made me thing of eggs, and I think this will be on my Easter table, or my take along dish.  




This recipe comes together rather quickly.  They were lighter than I expected, but absolutely at their best when eaten right away.  I did have leftovers, and I will rewarm them in the oven.


Thanks again to Marie for this wonderful giveaway, and I apologize for taking too long to do a post.  I will be joining the Bunny Hop Party (1st time), Alphabe-Thursday (catching up on letters P, Q and R),  Foodie Friday, Potpourri Friday and Seasonal Sundays.


Please be sure to enter my $50 blogaversary giveaway here.  Winner announced on March 25th. 


xo







39 comments:

  1. They look great and that sounds like an interesting cookbook-enjoy:@)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Barbara, these look wonderful!! It's only breakfast time, and I could eat them right now. :)

    I do love Italian food, as anyone in my family can tell you. Don't know why, as we don't have any Italian heritage. But the cooking is wonderful, and you don't have to be an artist to appreciate art, right? I also love pretty cookbooks with good recipes; what a great thing for you to win.

    I'm glad to see you back online. Your eyes must be healing well.

    XO,
    Denise at Forest Manor

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh dear. I guess it serves me right for rushing to the nudie post. Now, I'm really hungry for something like this gnudie. Yum. I mean really, it looks yum.

    And now I have a new name for my kitchen. "Cucina Povera". Yep. That describes it pretty well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks and sounds so good.Nothing makes me happier that discovering new foods and this one really caught my attention.
    Rita

    ReplyDelete
  5. You did get my attention and I was expecting a cherub or something. Ha!

    These look delicious; thanks for featuring them. Congrats on a fun win!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Haha, Barbara! You funny lady, you! I knew there had to be some word play in there. The Gnudi looks terrific. I love dishes (and words) like Gnuddi and Gnocchi! Have a *lovely* day!!! Hugs! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow that looks really yummy! I won a nice 'simple' cookbook and need to find a new recipe to try! Hope you are doing well. Hugs, Linda

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my, Barbara, this recipe looks devine! I love, love, love cookbooks. This one looks amazing. Looks like you are really enjoying it. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Barbara, I love anything with cheese!! So these puppies look really good to me. I am enamored with cookbooks, if only to peruse all those pictures. More fun to cook from them, though! Good for you for winning it. Are your peepers rested and back to normal now?
    hugs, Sue

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi lovely lady.
    I also love anything with lots of cheese! The cook book needs to be in my Kitchen cabinet with my other books.Thanks so much for your comments on my Easter Tablescape. Hope you and your family have a wonderful week with your family.
    XXOO Diane

    ReplyDelete
  11. How delicious these look! They would go over well with my family, so I see that I will have to try them soon!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Barbara F.,
    This is different, I've heard of this but never tried it. Sounds really good.
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  13. Dearest Barbara,
    Oh, looks SO delectable♡♡♡
    Hehe, only if I like cheese. I DO wish to be with you and being able to have the honor to have one of your recipes!!!
    Love you always, xoxo Miyako*

    ReplyDelete
  14. OMG I can't wait to make this!!!
    Yum. I made chicken cutlets tonight for dinner and this would have been perfect instead of just pasta.

    Dee

    ReplyDelete
  15. That looks like a wonderful cookbook and these 'nudies' look delicious :) I love Italian food!

    ReplyDelete
  16. These look awesome Barb! I've always wanted to try these. Lidia has a sweet version in her cookbook with strawberries and ricotta dumplings.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your Gnudi look divine, Barbara! I make a version of these too, but I've called them gnocchi. I know they are "melt in the mouth" good! That sounds like a beautiful cookbook. Tuscan food, even "cucina povera," is so delicious.

    I hope your eyes are continuing to heal well!

    ReplyDelete
  18. YUM! They look wonderful and I just bought some ricotta! Perfect for Friday!
    Hope you are getting better each day!

    ReplyDelete
  19. They look so good and they must b delicious

    ReplyDelete
  20. Yep!! You got me with Nudi! I hopped right over.
    The recipe sounds wonderful but please put a robe on it.
    Hugs :), Ginger

    ReplyDelete
  21. That is a wonderful looking recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Stopping over from Jenny's...
    They do look like eggs and sound tasty. This is something my husband and I would like and seems easy enough for me to try!

    Erika
    Artful Rising

    ReplyDelete
  23. I crave anything Italian! Now I'll try this:) Sending healing vibes..

    ReplyDelete
  24. You don't need to get our attention with words when you have such awesome photos of yummy food!

    ReplyDelete
  25. These would be perfect for people on a gluten free diet. They look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Wow! These sound like they are wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Those look wonderful! I'm going to give them a whirl...

    ReplyDelete
  28. I know them as "gnocchi" my SIL prepares them they are delicious !

    ReplyDelete
  29. Oh, I love raviolis and didn't know they had their own special day! Your dish looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  30. I looks Just GREAT !!
    We love spinach, especially when it comes with tomatoes and cheese
    wonderful recipe

    ReplyDelete
  31. oh big YUM! delish for certain. Hugs and happy weekend wishes!

    ReplyDelete
  32. oh big YUM! delish for certain. Hugs and happy weekend wishes!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Ooooh they look awesome! I love the addition of the spinach. :)

    ReplyDelete
  34. My comment didn't post for some reason, oh well I want to say you make me want to make a whole batch of those tomarrow Barbara! Glad you enjoyed the book.
    xox
    Marie

    ReplyDelete
  35. Oh yumm!! So great to have you be a part of Seasonal Sundays. Hope you'll join me this week too.

    - The Tablescaper

    ReplyDelete
  36. Hooray for Ravioli Day...

    These sound Really, Really delicious...

    I will definitely have to give them a try!

    Thanks for linking a Ridiculously tasty-sounding Recipe for the letter "R".

    A+

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...