Sunday, May 20, 2012

Mom's Spiedini

A new food store opened up nearby about six months ago, and I finally made my way over there.  Unfortunately I did not bring my camera, but I will go back and take photos.  It is something to see.



I spotted these little beauties while perusing the extensive meat department.  And thanks to Diane at Simple Living blog, I learned that May is Mediterranean diet month.  A perfect excuse to break out the good evoo, squeeze some lemons, pour some wine....oops, I digress!




Now once my eyes say "yes",  my tummy rarely gives any opposition.  Veal is something I hardly ever buy or cook, yet we had lots of it when I was growing up.  It was always "veal parmigiana",  not chicken.  When the prices skyrocketed here, then we discovered chicken cutlets.




I have seen spiedini described as "skewers".  They are simply very thin slices of veal (or chicken) that are pounded until they are almost transparent.  Then you can  place a layer of seasoned breadcrumbs, or a thin slice of Italian ham (prosciutto) or even a fresh sage leaf, roll them up, secure with a toothpick and broil til done.  




For these six pieces, I used about a 1/4 cup breadcrumbs, a couple of tablespoons grated Pecorino cheese, dried oregano, black pepper, garlic powder (I am all out of fresh garlic, which would have been my first choice), all to taste, and one sun dried tomato cut in small pieces.  I always buy sun dried tomatoes plain, I like to add my own oil and seasonings fresh each time.   I added about a teaspoon or so of olive oil to moisten.


I really needed to secure with toothpicks


I lightly sprayed the foil with Pam and drizzled a little olive oil over the spiedini.


These cook very quickly so watch them carefully.




I like them with a squeeze of fresh lemon.  




Mmmm.  Time to say "ciao", while I finish my Sunday din din.  I'll see you during the week!


I will be showing up at the following linky parties.






xo

39 comments:

  1. They look yummy!! What a cook you must be - wow! Thanks for sharing. I had never heard of these!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are making my mouth water!! Look and sound devine. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Barbara F.,
    Your Spiedini looks Squisito!
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  4. look delicious Barbara; what yumm!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dearest Barbara,
    Your food always looks yummy♡♡♡
    I hope you are having a wonderful Sunday!

    Love you always, xoxo Miyako*

    ReplyDelete
  6. uh-oh...am I too late for dinner?!
    xo Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well that does look good. We eat so much chicken that we're sprouting feathers. =D

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, I've never had these and they look great! Very pretty presentation too-enjoy:@)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yowsa, that looks good!
    XO,
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love this - and yours looks picture-perfect. We also had veal a lot growing up - and oh man is it ever pricey now (and politically incorrect?) But you have me dreaming of it now.

    ReplyDelete
  11. MMMMM...this looks so good!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Looks fabulous and quick. Thanks for sharing something different.

    ~Emily
    The French Hutch

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yummy yummy! This looks so good, Barbara! You're making my tiny mouth water and I'm already full but I'll bet I could manage one little bite!:)
    Be a sweetie,
    Shelia ;)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hello Barbara:
    This certainly does look and sound absolutely delicious. We very much like Mediterranean type food.

    ReplyDelete
  15. They look wonderful! thanks for sharing Joann

    ReplyDelete
  16. Delish! I am starving right now. :)

    xo
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is a word I'm not familiar with, but they certainly look good. I have never cooked veal. In fact, the few times I've had it out...it wasn't my favorite (do you think I picture those baby cow eyes)? I would love to do this with chicken! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Sounds good. What time is dinner?

    ReplyDelete
  19. Very impressive! I've never had veal... I assume it's the price? You definitely make me think I'd better check it out. :)

    Blessings, Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  20. OK...I'm gonna come clean. I have never tasted veal. I'm scared. I just don't know what to expect. I have a weird thing about foods with funny names. Like eggplant. I can't bring myself to eat eggplant. Okra. What is that all about?!?!?! Angel hair pasta. Now they're just messin' with me! Veal has one of those names that I just can't get past. I want to try it because everybody says it's good, ubt I'm still working up the nerve. Does it taste "like chicken" or is it completely different? Is it chewy or soft? It looks totally tasty in your photos!!! Now you know how completely off the wall I am! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  21. I didn't know about Mediterranean diet month. Love veal and this recipe is a keeper; will be trying it as soon as I get some veal. Usually get some really great one at Costco. Will enjoy your post about this new store.
    Rita

    ReplyDelete
  22. Alycia isn't the only one who's never eaten veal. My family has had it a few times, but I never have. I've always been picky about food and tend not to try many new things. However, this recipe sounds very good, so I should give it a try. I enjoy Mediterranean food, so I bet I'd enjoy this. Thanks for sharing with us at Your Cozy Home Party!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hi Barbara, Absolutely delicious! A local Italian restaurant's specialty is Chicken spedini and it is fabulous. They make it with amagio (sp?) or alfredo sauce. Perhaps I should try making it myself now that you've shown me it isn't difficult. You asked if annuals have to be replanted annually - yes. Perennials last for years (well, they're supposed to anyway!) lol
    Beth

    ReplyDelete
  24. This looks so delicious!! A must print recipe!

    New follower from the blog hop :) Can't wait to catch up your posts!

    Hopefully you get a chance to stop by my blog.

    xo, Jersey Girl

    hairsprayandhighheels.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  25. Those look so darn good! It doesn't look to hard either! My kind of cooking!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Oh, this looks great! I'm going to have to hit the European market to find cuts of veal like this.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Those look fantastic! I've never had spiedini before but after seeing your post I think I would like to try it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  28. Hi Barbara--I tried to email but tonight would not go thru--I found you the mug tree and it is all wood; if you are still in need of one. Yummy recipe--my husband would love this!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Hi Barbara!

    I love breaded meats and this has breading on all layers... Yum! It also looks so easy and quick too. I will try this when The Mr. is home again this weekend.

    Thanks for sharing this great recipe at my weekly party!

    xoxo Bunny Jean
    Wednesdays Bunny Hop Party!

    ReplyDelete
  30. This looks TASTY! Thanks for sharing it Barb.

    Happy Memorial weekend to you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  31. I love a family recipe, Barbara, and these sound very good! I never think to squeeze lemon on my cutlets --sounds good! Happy Memorial Day Weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  32. I haven't had veal in years!
    I have never seen it prepared this way, it sounds wonderful!
    Enjoy the weekend, God bless our service people!

    ReplyDelete
  33. These do look delicious! I've never made spiedini before - love the cute rolled shape.

    ReplyDelete
  34. I love and ate a lot of veal when I was growing up especially when my grandfather from Vesti, Italy came over. He only ate fish and veal... thought chickens were dirty, but they are cheap.
    Thanks for sharing this on foodie friday great classic recipe.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...