Monday, June 4, 2012

My Jammin' Weekend

These little ruby beauties did not disappoint.




I followed a recipe I found on Pinterest.  You can check it out here.


I love preserves but they don't love me back.  Too much refined sugar.  I often have tasted fresh fruit and wondered what it would be like to save that taste in a jam.  When I look up recipes, I simply cannot get past the obscene amount of sugar.   Sometimes as much as 7 cups!  This recipe appealed to me and I decided to give it a try.  






Welch's 100% grape juice - no sugar added - recipe specifies white but couldn't find it, pectin for low or no sugar jam, and agave nectar.*  I use agave in many things calling for sugar and honey.  Half the carbs, better for the body to process and I like the flavor better than honey (blends in better).  


Recipe called for just two cups of strawberries, but next time I will double and perhaps triple the recipe.  I only made this much!  






Ten empty jars waiting to be filled.  Back to the berry farm next to Delicious Orchards in New Jersey.  






Then I saw this on the shelf in the supermarket, and I thought a biscuit would be a good 'surface" to taste test my jam.






I made half the recipe (for 1 1/2 eggs, I used 1 whole egg + two tablespoons egg substitute).  The entire recipe said it would make 10 biscuits, I made half the recipe  and got seven.    They were good, lighter than a regular wheat biscuit and almost tasting more like a popover.






xo


(*) = I only used about 1/4 cup agave and it was plenty sweet because the berries were so sweet.  I messed up by using maple flavor.  It is interesting.  Next time I will use plain.

19 comments:

  1. That looks so good! I have never come across a recipe for jam that didn't require a ton of sugar. Thanks for sharing this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been tempted to make jam but, like you, I just can't do it when I see all of that sugar. This recipe sounds right up my alley. So glad you shared it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. now seriously craving biscuits with strawberry jam....
    xo Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your biscuits and preserves look great, Barbara! I too am enjoying the seasonal fresh fruits. I haven't made jam lately, but I really liked the fresh rhubarb pie I made for dinner Sunday! Also enjoying watermelon, strawberries, blueberries, and raspberries - some from my garden, but most from the grocer!
    Hugs, Beth

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am with you on the obscene amount of sugar called for in most recipes. I will have to give this a try!
    XO,
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  6. It takes a few experiments to get what you want, I think. I've never questioned obscene amount of sugar because I know that a serving size of jam is only a TBS, though mine has 50 calories so perhaps I should get concerned. Thanks for the link!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I cannot imagine that perfectly ripe strawberries need sugar! This is indeed one delightful recipe. I am saving this - in my first attempt to can. I will be the taster and if I don't die - I'll allow others to have some after me.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a tasty week-end you have had! It sounds like fun!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This sounds like a really nice recipe, Barbara. I'm always trying to cut back on sugar, and I love finding new ideas on Pinterest.

    I also didn't know that Bisquick now has a Gluten Free version! My daughter-in-law has to eat gluten free so this will come in handy to have when she visits us.

    Thanks for leaving a comment on my blog today -- Blogher is using a new comment section form for blog posts that they sponser (sigh), and I know it takes extra steps to complete. Everything will be back to normal tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Jammin is great. I used to make tons of jam when my children were small. Thanks for sharing this recipe. I might get the urge to jam again.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Glad your jam worked out! I've been using the no/low sugar pectin for years are it really does work great! Have fun filling those other jars:@)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your jam sounds really good. I've never tried agave, but after reading this post think I'll check it out. I've also never made jam if you can believe that...and will give that a try too.
    Wow! Thank you for the inspiration!
    Geneva

    ReplyDelete
  13. Barbara F.,
    I couldn't help coming over and having a look see at what what jammin. Oh it's a recipe for jam.
    You've got me wanting to make this.
    I have recipes but haven't made any yet. Thank you for sharing.
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love your healthier version of biscuits and jam!I have been hearing a lot about agave and will give it a try.Keep on Jammin'

    ReplyDelete
  15. Dearest Barbara,
    Haha, mistery has solvedo(*^▽^*)
    How silly of me that you posted about berries and said "my first attempt at making jam".
    Oh, happy for you and I admire your efforts, my friend☆☆☆
    Love you always from Japan, xoxo Miyako*

    ReplyDelete
  16. Barbara - this looks so interesting. I need to go to Pinterest more for recipes, I guess. With the time I have, I usually get "lost" in the table settings - lol!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wayyyy too much sugar is so true! I haven't tried the GF Bisquick...sounds interesting. The jam looks great! I haven't made any at all. :/

    xo
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'd love to make some strawberry jam just to put on biscuits. I'm drooling!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...