Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Bye, bye Sandy, you big bully

The flock here survived Frankenstorm.  We lost power at 9:45 PM and literally it was pitch black.  In other storms, some parts of the development would have power while others didn't, and usually street lights will remain.  Not this time.  I am lucky that power came back at 6 AM,  I ran down to put the heat on and hear the news.   Still a little apprehensive that it will go out again while repairs are being done.

SI resident wading through water near her home in New Dorp Beach

Everything is still closed today.  All four bridges are still closed, the rain stopped and the wind is dying down.  I opened my front door a teeny bit and the air smelled so clean and fresh.  Not the norm for us so if there is a "perk" from this, Sandy blew our smog and pollution away temporarily.

I want to thank all of you who sent emails inquiring about how things were for me, I appreciate your sweet concern and prayers.  I am still sending prayers to those not as fortunate and in flooded "Zone A" and still without power.  Clean up will be a major thing with all the trees that are down.  

Winds from Sandy knocked over this crane on top of a 1000 foot bldg being constructed in Manhattan

And here is a little "only in New York" moment:  I heard of someone ordering Chinese food last night...................and they delivered.  Only in New York.  (shaking my head)


xo

19 comments:

  1. Glad you are safe and Ok there. I was waiting for first light to go outside and see if there is any tree damage. I did just hear a big crash, maybe a tree over the road. Be safe and have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad that you are well and have power. John mentioned how clean and fresh the air smelled this morning as if the world has had a bath. Guess it did take a shower. ☺

    Ongoing prayers and good thoughts for clean-up and a return to normal.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dearest Barbara,
    Oh My!!! It sure is a big relief to hear from you and know you are OK; now Sandy is gone. Is it a lot of cleaning work? I am SO SORRY for your damage of your precious trees and plants☆☆☆ I heard that more than 3 hundred thousand people were forced to evacuate.

    Please have a deep breath and take it easy for a while, my friend.

    I just finished serving dinner and I think I can sleep feeling relieved.

    Sending you lots of love and hugs from Japan, xoxo Miyako*

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Barbara,

    So glad to see you online and read that you are safe! I've been following your updates and looking at the pictures you're sharing. I love your "only in New York" moment. It's too funny and pretty amazing, actually. :D

    Stay warm and I hope your power stays on.

    Hugs,

    Denise at Forest Manor

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, Barbara, praise God you're safe. I can't imagine how scary this must have been. We've been glued to the TV as our daughter lives in Niskayuna, NY. She's okay. Again, praise God!
    Be a sweetie,
    Shelia :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am glad that you are well ! You were in the middle of the storm !
    Please , have patience and all are will be better !
    All my thoughts
    Olympia

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello Barbara,
    I am glad to hear you are safe. It seems like NY has really had a tough night of it! I hope you do not have too much damage.
    What is SoBC? Do you come to Raleigh often? Were you at SoBC?
    Hugs,
    Terri

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dear Barbara, i' m really glad that you' re ok and safe! I'll pray for all the other american people.
    Kisses
    Alessandra

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my gosh, what a horror situation that must have been! I am SO glad that you weathered the storm well and that you are safe! I'm now your newest blog follower and thank you for stopping by and following my blog too!

    Blessings,
    Roz

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ciao cara amica!Sono contenta che tutto è stato superato!Ti ho pensato e detto una preghiera!Tutte le parti del mondo sono così belle,perchè devono esistere queste catastrofi?Un forte abbraccio!Rosetta

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hello Barbara, I am so glad that you are safe. I am praying for those affected by this awful storm. Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Barbara Im really glad you are OK, hope all doing well, and all of you can be quiet !!! take care x

    ReplyDelete
  13. So glad to hear you are ok - you have been in my pray!
    xo,
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  14. So glad you are safe and only had to contend with power outages! Storms are so frightening and devastating. I do hope & pray water recedes and power comes on for everyone else quickly!
    xo, Jen

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm so glad you fared well!! My daughter in DC never even had a power flicker. She was glad to have dodged it completely.

    I think the delivery thing is hilarious!

    ReplyDelete
  16. So good to hear from you! Hope all is well.

    Judy

    ReplyDelete
  17. So relieved to hear that you are safe and all right! Take care!
    xo Nellie

    ReplyDelete
  18. Barbara,
    So glad that you made it through the storm okay!
    The devastation is so terrible and Atlantic City will never be the same...

    Hugs,
    Deb

    ReplyDelete
  19. I didn't know what kind of news we would wake up to today. I am so happy that you are safe and sound, Barbara.

    XO,
    Jane

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...