Saturday, October 6, 2012

Columbus Day Weekend

By prevailing over all obstacles and distractions, one may unfailingly arrive at his chosen goal or destination.
                                                          - Christopher Columbus


Statue located in Phillipsburg, NJ

In 1492, Columbus sailed the ocean blue, to find a shorter route to Asia.  Instead, he found an island of the Bahamas (with people living there).

Contrary to popular belief, most educated Europeans in Columbus' day understood that the world was round, but they did not yet know that the Pacific Ocean existed.  As a result, Columbus and his contemporaries assumed that only the Atlantic lay between Europe and the riches of the East.  Columbus never set foot on North America. 

No coincidence, our vast country was just waiting to be found. 

Happy Columbus Day;  a day for me to honor my Italian heritage, and a time to embark on some further exploration of my own and enjoy those sales!

Italian thought for the weekend:

I am not perfect but I am who I am and that is good enough for me! 


Happy Thanksgiving to my Canadian friends on Monday!

Joining the Tablescaper for Seasonal Sundays

xo

20 comments:

  1. Happy Columbus Day!
    God Bless this wonderful country!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sometimes we do not pay homage enough to Christopher Columbus. No small feat...

    Oh my! That tree is going to be stunning if it turns red as it is doing now. Will you get back for another photo?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hope you have a great Columbus Day, enjoy your autumn weekend! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Columbus Day Weekend! Hope you find some great things at the sales:@)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Barbara,

    So very true!
    Happy Columbus Day to you. May we shop till we drop :P

    Dee

    ReplyDelete
  6. Enjoyed the post. We work on Monday, so I almost forget it's a holiday for the rest of the city. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy Columbus Day dear Barbara!!!In your american heart there's an italian heartbeat. I like very much the quotation at the end.
    Kisses.
    Alessandra

    ReplyDelete
  8. and glad he found it! Happy Columbus Day to you!
    xo
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  9. A timely reminder of the real reason behind Columbus Day.
    Your new header is so nice. I'm impressed. Great job!
    I enjoyed your Italian quote. A good one to remember.

    ReplyDelete
  10. We will celebrate Columbus day the next week!:)
    Happy Columbus day! Is a nice post! and I love your Fall header!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy Columbus Day, Barbara! I love learning more about our history! I didn't realize you were Italian! :)
    Be a sweetie,
    Shelia :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Happy Columbus day and happy shopping!
    XO,
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi, thanks for your visit. I too believe that this awesome USA was hidden, held in reserve for HIS purposes. What a blessed time to be alive and be here! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Barbara~ Happy Columbus Day and Happy Shopping :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. May you enjoy the Columbus Day weekend with lots of family and friends and of course sunshine..
    Let's party!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Happy Columbus Weekend, my Dear Barbara,
    Oh,you made me think "what will be my chosen goal or destination". Life must be an exploration for anyone. Wonderful quote, isn't it☆☆☆
    And it was my gorgeous memory that I once been to Italy and only regret was not been able have gelato like Audrey Hepburn, haha.
    I hope you are having a wonderful Sunday, night night from Japan.
    Lots of love and hugs from Japan, xoxo Miyako*

    ReplyDelete
  17. Happy Columbus Day!! I especially loved the Italian quote at the end. What a great thought.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks for sharing this. Enjoy your day........Sarah

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...