Saturday, October 20, 2012

Southern Bloggers Conference, Part I




For the first time in nine years, I ventured out  of my comfort zone, got on a plane and attended the Southern Bloggers' Conference in Raleigh, North Carolina.  I have never traveled anywhere by myself, and I really can't believe I did it.  I  enjoyed the conference and meeting like-minded people.


Leo & Jane from Cottage at the Crossroads



Suzy of Worthing Court & KariAnne of Thistlewood Farm
It was a pleasure meeting some of my favorite bloggers.   I think the cocktail party was a great way to start the event. 

This centerpiece captured my attention as I have never seen cotton plants other than in books.   There were many beautiful crafts displayed, a craft contest and then the crafts raffled off.  I won a lovely burlap runner (which will have a role in an upcoming post).  I am sorry I don't remember who made this arrangement.





Kelly


Brittany
Heather

Rhoda, Kelly, KariAnne & Heather

The guest speakers  shared with us their personal experiences when they first started their blogs.  We learned of ways to get ourselves noticed and possible ways to have our blogs earn money.  We also learned about new products on the market for painting furniture, frames, etc.

Raleigh

The Embassy Suites was a lovely hotel, great staff, and this is their resident mascot, a 24-year-old female macaw named Raleigh.  She has a huge cage in the lobby near the front desk.



The lobby at night, I was on the 7th floor.  Apologies for quality, I still have my old point-and-shoot.  





There was so much creativity and energy here.  The ladies worked very hard to make this first conference a success.  

The swag bags were filled to the brim.  A Vera Bradley shopping tote and luggage tag, a can of Fish Foam window cleaner, an issue of Southern Lady magazine, ASCP sample jar  and Maison Blanche paint, and orange and clove scented soap are among the items.  I shipped home some things that would have been taken during the security check.

Thanks to Barb, the Chairwoman of the event, and Committee members Amy, Shirley, Suzy, Kristen, Brittany, and Cindy.  Thanks also to the keynote speaker, Rhoda, and speakers KariAnne, Kelly, Heather, Annie, Kristen and Brittany. (clicking on the name will bring you to their blogs).

My next post will be about Sunday's brunch and thrifting trip.

Hope to see y'all next time!   

Linking to Seasonal Sundays and Sunny Simple Sundays

xo







35 comments:

  1. Gosh! Those bloggers look like *gasp* real people! ☺

    Thank you for sharing your experience. I think you've done yourself proud. Are you happy that you went? Do you feel more confident and powerful for having done so? I want to be more like you and challenge myself a little more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great time. Thanks so much for sharing. I've so enjoyed meeting blogger buddies.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so happy that you crawled out of your comfort zone for this wonderful adventure! If they have another one next year I would love to meet you there!! Have a wonderful weekend.

    Big Hugs,
    Susan and Bentley

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have been waiting for this. I am so glad you had a good time. I only know Jane and Leo's blog from those you mentioned. It is a big blog world out there!
    We should do a NY area get together!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Barbara! Oh, I'm so glad you got to go to the conference. I've never been to one before and I'm sure it was wonderful! Sounds like you got lots of goodies and meeting some favorite bloggers! :)
    Be a sweetie,
    Shelia :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. You must be thrilled that you pushed yourself to go! I'm sure your creative juices are flowing. xo Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great to here about this event. Glad you were able to make it and thanks for sharing the wonderful photos!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice post! Glad to see this great photos! Thanks for letting us in on what goes on at these events.

    ReplyDelete
  9. So glad you had a fun time! Sounds like a nice trip:@)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think it is so wonderful that you "put yourself out there"! I know that I am a lot like you, I think I'd be way too shy to fly off and attend a conference with strangers. But I know that the bloggers are so very sweet and the topics so relevant to us, that it would be a great experience. Hurray for you! I enjoyed the pictures and may pop over to some of the links. Have a great weekend, Barbara!

    XO,
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh WOW!! Yay! What fun, Barbara -- and to think I was so close!!! LOL! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Che bella esperienza che hai fatto Barbara!Brava!Baci e buona domenica!Rosetta

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Barbara, Glad you went and had such a great time! I enjoyed reading about the SBC and seeing your photos.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Dear Barbara, you spent a great experience! I saw beautiful creations and i' ve never seen a so original centerpiece before.
    Kisses
    Alessandra

    ReplyDelete
  15. Dear Barbara, you spent a great experience! I saw beautiful creations and i' ve never seen a so original centerpiece before.
    Kisses
    Alessandra

    ReplyDelete
  16. Barbara, I'm glad you showed that cotton centerpiece because I missed it! (I have a lot of cotton at my house right now and I just did a post about it.) In that picture of me, I look like I have my finger stuck in my drink!!! I'm so glad you came to the conference so that we got to meet! Now, you are going to show that gorgeous table runner that you won, aren't you?

    ReplyDelete
  17. So glad to hear you had a good time, especially flying for the first time in nine years! You are braver than I am! How nice to have a macaw to greet you with some Southern Hospitality and make you feel at home :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm glad you decided to go and it sounds like you had a lot of fun. It is so nice when a lot of like minded women get together. Thank you for stopping by.
    ~Clara

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow! You go, girl! I've never stepped outside my comfort zone and traveled alone either. I'm so glad you got to do this!
    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  20. So neat that you stepped out of your comfort zone. Glad you had a good time!Wonderful to have you be a part of Seasonal Sundays.

    - The Tablescaper

    ReplyDelete
  21. Dearest Barbara,
    Wow, SO happy for your wonderful time at the confidence(^_^)彡☆ Everything sounds exciting!!!
    I LOVED to read from the starters "For the first time in nine years, I ventured out of my comfort zone, got on a plane"!!! What a poetic way to express it♡♡♡ You were greeted by the bird (female macaw named Raleigh, not sure 24 years is old for that bird). Wasn't that nice for you♬♬♬
    Yes, wonderful Centerpiece decorated with cotton plants. I never seen it first hand, either.
    Congratulations on your winning of burlap runner(*^_^*)
    Lovely to hear your gorgeous time, my friend.
    Sending you lots of love and hugs from Japan, xoxo Miyako*

    ReplyDelete
  22. Good for you, Barbara, for stepping out of your comfort zone. It looks like you had a great time and met lots of like minded people.
    Congratulations on your win. Can't wait to see it.

    ReplyDelete
  23. My Gosh! This sounds like so much fun! I didn't hear about it. Maybe next year? Love the cotton--of course!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Sounds like you enjoyed the trip and conference! Fun!
    xo
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  25. Thanks for sharing your blogging trip. Sounds like you had a grand time. I am enjoying the pictures and the cotton centerpiece.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Glad you had such a nice time at the conference. I bet it was neat to meet so many bloggers.

    ReplyDelete
  27. The conference sounds like it was a lot of fun, and sounds like you had a great time. I love birds, so I enjoyed seeing the picture of Raleigh too. Thanks for sharing your experience with us.

    ReplyDelete
  28. What an educational and fun way to meet fellow bloggers.

    ReplyDelete
  29. I really enjoyed all of your photos! You know, I haven't traveled anywhere my myself in years either, and I'm just kicking myself for not going to this event. Thanks for that encouragement, maybe next time I'll make it! Have a great week, Barbara!
    Cheers, Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  30. What a great time you must've had! I can't wait to hear even more about the conference.

    ReplyDelete
  31. I'm so glad you went to this conference, Barbara! It looked like fun and wonderfully informational. I'm hoping western bloggers will be as friendly when I move west!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Oh it sounds like you had a lot of fun Barbara. Congratulations on winning the burlap runner! I've never seen real cotton either. Then again I know your a northern like me :) The goodie bag was filled with great items.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Good for you! I know you had a wonderful time. Thanks for sharing all the photos...but where are YOU?

    xo
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  34. Looks like you had a wonderful time! I didn't even know about it and I'm nearby! I guess I need to get on the ball! lol What fun! I'm so glad you got to go! I recognize a lot of the ladies! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Good for you, Barbara! Looks like it was a great time. I'm sure it's lots of fun to meet fellow bloggers in person.

    How nice that you got a little shopping in too! =D

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...