Monday, December 31, 2012

Slow Cooker Bread Pudding

I've been slow in posting, I wish I could say it is because I was traveling or having lots of company, but, no, just not feeling too motivated.  Plus back spasms have me in knots, literally, never know when one will have me in its grip.

I wanted to share this recipe I adapted from Taste of Home.  The original recipe called for eight cups of stale, unfrosted cinnamon rolls and one cup raisins.  I substituted nine cups of panettone, cubed, and eliminated raisins as the bread has them and other dried fruit.  Panettone is a sweet bread originating in Milan and enjoyed for Christmas and New Year's in Italy and other parts of Europe.  (Clicking on the word will take you to a brief history, if interested).  

It is so easy you can whip one up for tomorrow, before the diets begin in earnest.  This makes six servings.




Panettone Bread Pudding (adapted from Taste of Home)

9 cups cubed panettone, roughly half of a large (2 lb.) loaf 
4 eggs
2 cups milk
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup butter, melted
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg (I used a pie spice blend including cinnamon, nutmeg and lemon peel)




Place bread cubes in a three quart slow cooker.  In small bowl, whisk together eggs, milk, sugar, butter, vanilla and nutmeg.  Pour over bread cubes and stir gently.  Cover and cook on Low for three hours, or until a knife inserted near center comes out clean.


Joining the lovely Yvonne for On The Menu Monday.

xo







16 comments:

  1. I made panettone pudding too:))) lol
    yours look delicious Barbara Happy new year!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks delicious! Save me some!!:-) Happy New Year, and I hope you have relief from the spasms in your back.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh how I love bread pudding! I know it tastes as delicious as it looks!

    Happy, Happy New Year Barb! It was great getting to meet you this year!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dearest Barbara,

    Happy New Year! oh I would like to taste your pudding..for sure tasty;)
    wishing you all the best
    hugs

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sweet Barbara...I'm sorry you've been feeling kinda 'blah'. Perk up, sweet friend, and toast in 2013!! Hugs and Happy New Year!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. My son made a bread pudding with pannetone last year and he raved about it. Wishing you a happy and healthy 2013,Barbara.
    Rita

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds delish - oh how I miss gluten! I myself hit the wall yesterday from all the activity and I remained horizontal most of the day. All the best in the new year my friend!
    xo,
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes please, I'll have some!
    Wishing you a very Happy New Year Barbara!
    xo
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yum-sounds like a perfect use for Pannetone! Sorry to hear about your back, hope it clears up soon! Wishing you a Happy New Year and all the best in 2013 Barbara-enjoy:@)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oooh Barbara - this sounds like the perfect comfort food breakfast on a cold winter morning. Yummy in my tummy!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I saw bread pudding and came running, though the diet must begin in earnest right off. ☺ So sorry that your back is in spasms. What do you do for relief? I have my methods, but I'm wondering about yours.

    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've missed you, Barbara. So sorry about your back. Hope it is much better soon. Your bread pudding looks SO good. Take care of yourself.
    Happy New Year! Beth

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh my gosh, that sounds wonderful! Will definitely try this. Thanks for sharing.

    Judy

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sounds YUMMY! visiting from Seasonal Sundays...
    Have a GREAT weekend!
    Blessings,
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Sweetie,
    Sorry to hear about your back. Been there. Try rubbing some of that oil on your back. I love bread pudding and yours sounds great. Panettone is on sale everywhere right now. I'll be picking some up soon. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  16. That sounds so good! I'll be hoping to find some bread in the clearance racks now, that would be perfect for bread pudding. I never thought about making it in the crock pot before.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...