Sunday, March 31, 2013

My Vegetable Soup

Wanting to clean the refrigerator thoroughly, I pulled out all the veggies left in the crisper.  I had the right amount of things, with some pantry staples added, to make a nice pot of vegetable soup for myself, with leftovers.




I rough chopped a couple of carrots, a large celery stalk, a wedge of cabbage, an onion, one potato.  I put a small amount of oil in a medium size pot, added a smashed clove of garlic and tossed in the veggies.  Season with salt (I used seasoned salt).  I just wanted them to be glistening, not browned, then I added some simmering water, 



1 cup of Recipe Starter fire roasted tomatoes,  (you'll have about 1 1/2 cups left from this can)




1 cup string beans (canned), and one container of Knorr concentrated vegetable stock.  





Added some dried basil and oregano.  Let it come to a boil and simmer for maybe 30 minutes.  Soup's done when potatoes and cabbage are soft.

Here's a "pinteresting" trick that worked:



This celery is at least four weeks old.  Wrapped in aluminum foil and kept in the crisper.

If I had a small can of corn, I would toss it in at the end of the cooking.  Or you could add some cooked small pasta.  Sprinkle some Parmesan cheese on top.  But it is really delicious just as it is.




Serve with these corn muffins (I halved a recipe for 12 muffins, so for six muffins, combine 1/2 cup flour, 1/2 cup corn meal, 2 T. oil, 2 T. + 2 tsps. sugar, 1/4 tsp. salt, 1 tsp. baking powder, 1/2 cup milk, 'half' of a beaten egg (save half to add to breakfast egg in a.m.).  Bake 350 degrees 15-20 minutes.  Spray muffin tin or use paper liners.)




My Recipage is still a work in progress, I promise to get it updated, and keep it that way.

Joining On The Menu Monday, You're Gonna Love ItFull Plate Thursday, Foodie Friday, Simple & Sweet Fridays, Sunny Simple Sundays.  Thank you to all the hostesses.

xo



26 comments:

  1. Your soup sounds good! Love the celery tip, it's so expensive any more-gonna try it:@)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh this looks so yummy! THank you for sharing.

    Rejoicing in an empty tomb. May you and yours have a very Happy Easter!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks yummy. I need to put up some soup, too. Wishes for a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dearest Barbara,
    As always, you really are creative with cooking; soup looks SO yummy(♥^_^♥)~*
    Wish I could have been with you at the Easter table♡♡♡

    Sending you lots of love and hugs from Japan, xoxo Miyako*

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh...this is great, Barbara! I do most of this the same only I just saute the onion...have to try it all. And I use chicken stock instead of water. Sure looks good!! I have to remember your celery tip!

    XO,
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yum! I often read blogs late at night...and posts like this make me hungry! That soup looks soooo good. And I am going to try that celery tip...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks delicious to me. I didn't know that tip about keeping the celery crisp. We usually put it in a recycled plastic insert from cereal or crackers. That keeps it fresh too. If I run out of them, I'll try this. My husband loves celery.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your vegetable suoup looks delicious and th muffins! Happy Easter with love.
    Kisses
    Alessandra

    ReplyDelete
  9. That soup sounds wonderful. I also appreciated the celery tip. I hope you had a wonderful holiday weekend. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Barbara, your soup looks so good with all the things I love! I have tried the aluminum foil tip for celery and it does work. I hope you had a wonderful Easter. xo

    ReplyDelete
  11. It looks so delicious and healthful! Hmmmm...

    ReplyDelete
  12. I would love a bowl right now! xo Nellie

    ReplyDelete
  13. After all of the eating I did yesterday, your soup looks like just what I'm craving... a lighter, healthier meal. The recipe starter is a new ingredient to me. Haven't seen that before.
    I'm going to try that celery trick. Mine seems to always get limp before I can use it up.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Barbara F.,
    Your soup sounds delicious. & It looks good too with the right consistency.
    Love your Pinterest picture of the lamb.
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  15. The soup sounds really good! And I should remember your celery trick.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your veggie soup looks tasty! I've always wanted to try making some. You've inspired me.

    :)
    mikky
    www.todaloos.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. Talk about tasty! This soup looks delicious! Talking about how you just threw together a bunch of stuff from the fridge reminds me of the fable "Nail Soup". :-) I love corn muffins with veggie soup. It's always so satisfying!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Looks and sounds delicious. I love vegetable soup, anyway, anytime! I do this a lot, and now I have a full frig of leftovers so I think soup will be on the menu tomorrow night. Of course, corn muffins too. Thanks for the inspiration too.

    ~Emily
    The French Hutch

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love Fire Roasted tomatoes, but I never seen the Progresso Soup Starter. I will have to look that. Thanks for sharing it. Dianne

    ReplyDelete
  20. Your soup looks great, Barbara. I made a vegetable beef soup myself yesterday. I have never heard of the soup starter from Progresso. I'm going to have to look for that. Have a good week, Barbara!

    ReplyDelete
  21. A wonderful and hearty soup. when I clean out my leftovers, I call them "must go's". Great hint for the soup starter. xo Linda

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love a good, homemade soup, Barbara! This makes a wonderful meal. Nice tip about keeping celery fresh --I ahve to try it!

    Hope you had a very Happy Easter!

    ReplyDelete
  23. You really are in the cooking mood! Good for you. Maybe you can inspire me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Love veggie soup! The fire-roasted tomato starter sounds delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I love Fire Roasted tomatoes, but I never seen the Progresso Soup Starter. I will have to look that. Thanks for sharing it. printing in nj .

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...