Thursday, April 25, 2013

Day Tripper

Yes, I love my day trips.  They allow me to relax, unwind, have fun, and not spend too much money!  It works for me as I have those two little birdies at home, and getting bird sitters can be costly.  I am also a neurotic birdy mama, and only insist on a vet tech.  




Just a quick hop over a bridge, and  30-45 minute ride on the turnpike or parkway and I am in another place...... a calmer, greener, happier place.  Fortunately I have friends who left the city and are now living in New Jersey.  One of my favorite things to do when visiting is to go to farm markets.  New Jersey is not called "The Garden State" for nothing!


Peach blossom time, apple to start soon, not sure if these are peach or apple!! Oy, city girl
Battleview Orchards is in Freehold, New Jersey, the pick-your-own orchard is right across the street.  Soon, sour cherries, peaches and plums will be able to get picked.  Early September starts apple picking time, and then ,of course, the pumpkins.  This farm has been owned by the Applegate family 
since 1908.  The name relates to the Battle of Monmouth during the Civil War.  There are re-enactments of it during the year.  




They sell the best apple cider doughnuts all year long, but on the weekend, you can purchase them hot out of the fryer.  Lines are a little bit crazy.  




My friend and former co-worker, Carolee


My friend and former co-worker, Marie
Their pies are very popular, with a line of sugar free that are just as good as regular.








All types of syrup, many are also sugar free.  The produce lasts a lot longer than when I purchase it in a supermarket, as theirs is super fresh!  I did not buy any goodies that day,  as my bins at home were recently filled and this was a surprise drive by!

All I know is, a day trip is so much more fun when shared with a friend or two.  

I am joining Alma, The Tablescaper, for her new weekly linky party, Oh, The Places I've Been.  I hope to share some past vacations, if Google + will just mind its business and let me upload photos the old way!  But please stop by and do some arm chair travel.  It's free and it's safe!  

Also joining Foodie Friday at Rattlebridge Farm, and Sunny Simple Sunday at Sunny Simple Life.  Thank you to all the hostesses.  

xo


31 comments:

  1. Looks like a fun place to visit Barbara! I wish we had more farm stands around here-enjoy:@)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay, you've got pictures! This is the kind of place I love to visit, thanks for sharing with us. Mary

    ReplyDelete
  3. Success! Phew...

    I prefer day tripping, too. It is amazing to see how close the country can be to the big city. I want some apples at those good prices!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounf nice and Im happy you can upload.your pictures this is a lovely. Post Barbara!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for taking us tripping with you. The orchard produce looks great, a shame you'd just filled your bins a few days earlier.

    Diana

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm glad you found your photos and solved the post proble--whew! New Jersey has so many wonderful places to visit! It looks like you you and your former co-workers/friends had a fun time! Someday you will have to put your photo up,too, Barbara! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Barbara F.,
    Hi! I'd like a box of those Apple Cider Donuts please... Ha! Ha! They sound good. Looks like a nice place to get away to.
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just finished dinner and I'm full, but ... I think I have a little room for an apple cider donut. Ha! Gosh that sounds so good.
    I'm a big fan of day trips too. I'm so glad you had this opportunity to get away from it all with your girlfriends. Looks like a fun day.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my! Pick me up on your way over there next time! I would love to try one of the sugar free desserts...yummy! And look at the fruit trees already blooming! Nice!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dearest Barbara,
    I was busy commenting your former post, I was SO happy that it looks like the trouble with picasa seemed to have been solved, my dear friend!!!
    Oh, your day trip with your friend is really wonderful and with all the yummy looking items, it must be a marvelous place to visit♡♡♡
    Sending you lots of love and hugs from Japan, xoxo Miyako*

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Barbara...well one thing New jersey has is tons of farmer's markets!Gotta love 'em!!! So much fun to share wonderful food and shopping with friends! Wishing you a super weekend!
    XO Barbara

    ReplyDelete
  12. Barbara, that was a delightful trip! Delish too!! I am so glad you have the opportunity to go somewhere so close! Thanks so much for sharing. xo marlis

    ReplyDelete
  13. Looks like a fun trip, Barbara. The apple cider doughnuts sound fantastic. So does the pie. Hope you got the help you needed regarding your photos. Computer stuff can be very frustrating at times!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh, yum! Apple cider doughnuts! What a treat! Glad you have worked out your problem posting your photos. xo Nellie

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a fabulous way to spend the day, Barbara! Your photos are awesome, I'd love to have been there with you and the gals! The apple cider doughnuts sound heavenly!

    XO,
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love the owner's name, Applegate! It just sounds lovely to say, Applegate, Applegate, Applegate, ok I'll stop. It looks like you had a lovely time with your friends Barbara. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. It is so nice that you have places like this to visit ! You can rerax , joy and buy all that you need ! A lovely day trip !
    Have a nice weekend !
    Olympia

    ReplyDelete
  18. Che bello,grazie a te posso vedere posti che qui da me non ci sono!Anche a me piace ilcontatto con la natura!Baci,Rosetta

    ReplyDelete
  19. I agree with what you said about a day trip being even better when you share it with a friend. I was just remarking to my sister that I need to schedule some more play dates around here for the sole purpose of day tripping. It just invigorates, IMO.

    That place is exactly the type of place that I would like to go.
    I love cider and doughnuts!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh Barbara. what a fun foodie day trip!! I love those kinds of trips. When I lived in Ohio, we had a place that made homemade doughnuts and apple cider and it was such a fun place to visit. Thanks for those memories! xo
    p.s. I hope you got help with the photos!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Well that would be a fun day trip with friends. The doughnuts sound heavenly right out of the fryer. My hubby would love those sugar free pies--so good. Gorgeous color everywhere.Ann

    ReplyDelete
  22. Sounds like a wonderful day. When are you coming to Lancaster County? You know it's a fun day. I totally understand the bird sitting thing. We have to find sitters for the kittys when we go away.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Great fun! This market looks divine...just love to visit them and get the fresh produce. Those pies must be delish! When are you going to share photos of your wonderful self? :)

    You're welcome in Texas anytime!
    xo
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  24. I like day trips too... and I like New Jersey ;)
    Freehold is about a hour north east of us.

    So nice that you and your friends enjoyed this time together!

    ReplyDelete
  25. What a fun trip. I wish that orchard was close to us...Christine

    ReplyDelete
  26. Looks like fun, and yes, it needs to be shared!
    1.99 for apples, yikes!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Thanks for sharing this fun trip!!!I' m happy to see that you have fun with your friends.
    KIsses
    Alessandra

    ReplyDelete
  28. Hi Barbara, sounds like a fantastic day! I love going to farmer markets too. What can be better than fresh produce!
    Have a nice weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  29. What a wonderful way to spend a day. I love all of the wonderful fresh food you can get at farmer's markets.

    Thanks for being a part of "Oh, the places I've been!". Looking forward to having you be a regular contributor.

    - The Tablescaper

    ReplyDelete
  30. I absolutely love my trip to Battleview Orchard. I will go daytripping with you anytime. That produce looks fabulous. Can the babies eat any of the fresh produce?
    Thank you for sharing this fun day.
    Have a great weekend, Ginger

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...