Monday, October 21, 2013

The Autumn Woman

This past Saturday, I spent a wonderful afternoon attending an East Coast Woman's  Salon  in Brielle, NJ at the home of Flo Schell.  


Photo courtesy of Flo Schell

I made Flo's acquaintance when I saw her pins on Pinterest.  We  used to comment back and forth, and Flo invited me to pin to her group boards.  


Flo Schell


You can see the beautiful and inspiring pins for this salon here.


Flo's backyard, Photo courtesy of Flo Schell

The name of the salon was The Way of the Autumn Woman:  Embracing wabi-sabi as a guide to living.  



Madonna & Child, painting by Flo Schell

Wabi-sabi is a Japanese aesthetic that  comes from embracing imperfection, incompleteness and transience (impermanence).


Sweet bird

The Japanese embrace the aging process.  



The two statues are a perfect example, the newer one in the back, the older, more weathered one in the front.  I learned that feeling "different" = 'unique'.  Can you embrace your imperfections?


Great Mother, painting by Flo Schell




Flo graciously allowed me to take some photos.  This has no relevance to the salon, I have always wanted an espaliered apple tree, and here I found one (faux).  I loved it!



Flo has just started painting in January of this year.  I was quite taken with her work.  I also was taken with this book tower, I thought it was free standing, but it is a shelf.  



We were asked to bring an object that was old, worn, or weathered, or in some way showing its age. If it's an object or photo you love...that would make it even sweeter.  I decided on my initial ring given to me by my parents for either my 18th, or 21st, birthday.  I can't remember it is so long ago. Some ladies brought a doll, old cards, a child's music book.  



Kwan Yin, Goddess of Compassion, painting by Flo Schell

I was greeted at the door by Flo with a huge smile, and immediately felt a kinship with her and the other guests as they arrived.  


Photo courtesy of Flo Schell


We were all "women of a certain age", sharing similar life experiences.  It is all done at your own comfort level.



We ended with a traditional Japanese tea ceremony, very very symbolic and very, very quiet.  It was a tea to purify the soul by becoming one with nature:  calm, rustic, graceful, simple.  At the end of the ceremony, a purse was passed around and we each received a token to commemorate this day.  I chose a small stone.  


Close up to see the beautiful eyes of the Madonna in the painting by Flo Schell
I am so looking forward to the winter salon.



St. Hildegarde von Bingen, Nun, 1st doctor of the Church, painting by Flo Schell


I urge you to visit Flo's website and Pinterest boards.  She is also the author of Wisdom of the 8 Bowls.

Sharing with The Places I've Been, Wow Us Wednesdays, You're Gonna Love It, Sweet & Simple Friday.  


xo

38 comments:

  1. Looks like a fantastic, relaxing, cleansing time. Glad you had the opportunity to be a part of this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! I would have loved to have been there too! Flo's paintings are exquisite Barbara!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds so unique and interesting, Barbara. You are the first person I've ever heard of that met a friend made through Pinterest! Flo sounds like a real gem--love her paintings!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The paintings are beautiful. A day or weekend away in the quiet doing something we love is a balm for the soul I believe. Especially when spent with like minded people.

    blessings,
    Diana

    ReplyDelete
  5. Barbara; what a special treat; beautiful things and paintings; I could love her style; thanks for sharing with us; I want to come too; wish I live a bit closer! Have a lovely, blessed week. Hugs, Patty

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great images
    We had a wonderful "salon" experience
    Perfect the way you captured the day

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a talented woman -- I so enjoyed this post Barbara. Just love her paintings. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like you had a nice day! Great paintings:@)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Barb, I love your new header! Flo's paintings are wonderful, and I will go read more about her. Glad you found her!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow Barbara! What an experience. I so enjoyed reading about all you learned at the Autumn ritual. I love the idea of the wabi-sabi and embracing all of our imperfections. Flo's paintings are so colorful and beautiful. Thanks for sharing this with us. I look forward to the Winter session. xo

    ReplyDelete
  11. It sounds like a calming, soothing experience. Sending wishes for a good Tuesday to you, Barbara. xo

    ReplyDelete
  12. As a result of reading this post in my bloglovin list and here on my own blogroll, I have learned that I can not post a comment while on bloglovin...seems counterproductive to say the least. Now this was a twist...to meet someone via Pinterest! What fun!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you, Barbara, for this lovely post. I so enjoyed spending time with you. Yea! to Social Media when it is used socially:)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Barbara, thank you so much for this lovely blog post. I so enjoyed spending time with you at my home. And yea! Pinterest...when used socially a wonderful connector.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Barbara

    Loved this post and what she's doing. Perfect timing for me!!

    Hope that all is well!

    xo
    Leann

    ReplyDelete
  16. What beautiful saturday!!! The paintings and the other items are very interesting. Thanks for sharing this relaxing, soothing experience
    Kisses
    Alessandra

    ReplyDelete
  17. Sounds like a very relaxing day. I would fit in as I am very imperfect! Joni

    ReplyDelete
  18. That's the kind of Saturday I love! The painting are awesome, I'd love to have anyone in my walls. Thank you for sharing it with us. Thank you for your sweet and kind visit too. Hugs,
    FABBY

    ReplyDelete
  19. It looks like it was a wonderful experience! Her art work is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  20. This sounds like an excellent experience. There are many seasons to life and learning how to enjoy and celebrate them can sometimes not be easy.

    - The Tablescaper

    ReplyDelete
  21. That sounds like so much fun! My blog friends Becky at Abbey Style Life and Tammy at Peanut on the Table would have loved being there too. One led me to the other by both of their love and interest in wabi-sabi. I do love the philosophy of things being prized and loved even though they are aged and flawed. (People too!)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wow, what a great post. This environment looks to calm and peaceful. Thanks for sharing. xoGinger

    ReplyDelete
  23. What a fun event! Sounds like something we would all love to do (being of that "certain age")

    ReplyDelete
  24. Art work is beautiful. Good post...

    ReplyDelete
  25. Dearest Barbara;
    Wow, met a friend through Pinterest♡♡♡ And I am SO happy to read the Japanese 'wabi sabi" with your perfect explanation with the statues of the monks!!! Thank you SO much for introducing Japanese culture here. I'm SO glad to read you enjoyed Japanese tea ceremony as well and again your phrasing were perfect, my friend. Beautiful paintings from her as well☆☆☆ Thank you very much for sharing this post.

    Sending you lots of love and hugs from Japan to my dear friend in America, xoxo Miyako*

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hi lovely lady.
    I love coming over to your blog and reading about Japanese culture sweet. Thanks so much for your sweet comments on my Tablescape hope you are having a wonderful week with your family.
    XXOO Diane

    ReplyDelete
  27. What a fabulous day. Thanks so much for sharing it with us.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Sounds like an amazing time. Gorgeous art from a beautiful lady.
    Hugs,
    Patti

    ReplyDelete
  29. First off...I love your pretty header and background. You are so good at it. :)
    Mine always looks like a 1st grader did it....I never can get the professional look you have. :(
    Sounds like this was a wonderful day....and very interesting.
    Have a beautiful day...xoxo bj

    ReplyDelete
  30. How fun is that! I love Japanese décor, it portrays tranquility, so serene and relaxing....Christine

    ReplyDelete
  31. What a lovely post Barbara. Isn't it great how we meet people. i will be visiting Flo's page. Her art is lovely and inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Just gorgeous! A very spooktacular and Happy Halloween to you and yours!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Hi! Had to come back again as I could not find a place to comment on today's post--November 1's. I love to see that someone else loves November too! I love even day in it!

    ReplyDelete
  34. This sounds like a really wonderful way to spend the day. I am impressed with Flo's painting talent.
    How neat that you met one another through pinterest.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Hi lovely lady.
    Thanks so much for your sweet comments on my Fall Tablescape, hoping you are having a wonderful week with your family. I am missing your post.
    xxoo
    Diane

    ReplyDelete
  36. Hi Barbara,
    Enjoyed your post I will be visiting Flo later. I love her painting of Quan Yin. So different from others I have seen. If it were not for the internet you and I may have never met.

    The weather is getting cooler and I am such a warm weather person. Hope you are enjoying it.
    ~ ~Ahrisha~ ~

    ReplyDelete
  37. Hi Barbara,

    It sure sounds like you had a wonderful day :)

    ReplyDelete
  38. Well that sounds very interesting! Good for you for being adventurous and going. I would still be thinking about it! :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...