Monday, December 15, 2014

A Christmas Tradition

Many many folks venture into Manhattan from the other boroughs of New York City this time of year.  They enjoy doing the tourist thing.  Seeing the tree at Rockefeller Center, the skating rink, the fabulous store windows.  Not me.  You have seen the tree once, no need to see it again.  Always looks the same.  Yes, a jaded New Yawker here.  

For me, a visit up to the Bronx evokes memories right down into my soul.  The sights, sounds, and yes, smells, of an Italian Christmas.  Unfortunately, many of the places we shopped at in Brooklyn, where I grew up, no longer exist. So a ride over the George Washington Bridge was in order.  


It was a really dreary day, cold, threatening to pour rain (or even snow!) at any moment.


A slice of pizza to fortify us.  



The longest lines imaginable in a tiny narrow slip of a store.  But the most delicious ricotta and mozzarella you ever tasted.



Still put the lights across the street.  So many businesses have stopped doing this.




In Calabria Pork Store




My favorite, torrone, Italian nougat. A must in my house when I was growing up.



I came home with a few small purchases, and reminisces to last the next year.  

Buon Natale a tutti!  Merry Christmas to all!  



16 comments:

  1. I could almost smell & taste that wonderful food Barbara! Someday I will go there but until then, I will enjoy your photos :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is definitely my kind of place! I'm glad you got back to your old neighborhood for the holidays. In our city, I live in an area that was pretty much a little Italy back in the day. There are so many different nationalities here now though, but a few of the old Italian restaurants & shops have lived on. I'm thankful for that. Buon Natale!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fun day, Barbara! I would enjoy visiting all the places to eat and then trying the Italian nougat. An Italian friend just gave me a little box with a piece of nougat in it. It was delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Barbara, I really enjoyed your post today. New York fascinates me, particularly how different the boroughs are. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love seeing this neighborhood, Barbara. I've never been to NYC, and probably will not ever make the trip, so it was good to see it through your camera. xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh...i really enjoyed your tour. In love " torrone " too. It 's a delicious food for Christmas. How many italian foods in your post. Mozzarrella is one of my favourite cheese. Form Italy...BUON NATALE!!!
    Kisses
    Alessandra

    ReplyDelete
  7. So fun visiting these wonderful places with you and sharing your childhood memories!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It looks like a fun and delicious tradition!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. What fun for you to return to the places you truly love. Had to grin with the "jaded New Yawker" talk. My sister said it at least once yesterday and even called me, Me, jaded! Ha!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think I would prefer visiting your memories than the big city. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful Christmas decorations and a slice! What better way to celebrate!!! Merry Christmas to you and your family!

    ReplyDelete
  12. That is lovely Barbara. Returning home is a very special tradition. Merry Christmas my friend. xo

    ReplyDelete
  13. I loved going to Little Italy with you. I am always shy about taking pictures in stores but I am so glad you are not. Loved seeing the meat hanging and the nougat.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Olá amiga, hoje quero agradecer a Deus pelo dom da sua vida, e desejar a você e sua família
    um feliz e santo Natal, cheio de saúde e alegria!!!
    Que seu coração esteja preparado para receber o Menino Deus!!!
    Um grande abraço, Marie.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Barbara, I'm working my way backwards through your recent posts until I get caught up. :-D I LOVE this post; these are the kind of your posts that I really enjoy so much. It's so neat to travel back to your childhood haunts with you. I've only been to New York City once -- that was near Christmas time and it was great fun. But I can see what you mean about having seen "the tree" once is enough. :)

    I love the picture of the Italian and American flags hanging from the balconies -- America, the melting pot. I may have told you that Italian food is one of my very favorite cuisines, but I don't have a speck of Italian in my heritage. Just about everything else, but no Italian. We did go to the Little Italy neighborhood while in New York and had the most delicious lunch for a really great price -- one of the highlights of the trip for me. :)

    I'm so glad you got to do this outing in December, Barbara, and thank you for sharing it with us. Love the picture of all the sausages hanging from the ceiling. :-D Have a wonderful day, my friend!

    Hugs,

    Denise at Forest Manor

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...