Friday, December 12, 2014

The Maine Event: Thanksgiving



My cousins have a lovely vacation home in Maine.  I visited there in the summer and instantly fell in love with the state.  When they invited me to spend Thanksgiving weekend with them up there, I happily said yes.

A nor'easter was predicted for Wednesday, and we left in the wee hours.  The storm was right behind us but the temperature held and we made it in six hours with just one very quick stop.  When we got to their house, about thirty minutes later, this was our view:



Then about 9 PM Wednesday night, we lost power!  Thankfully we had a generator, roads were plowed quickly, we had heat and light.  The fridge was running, but no stove.  How were we going to cook the turkey and make dinner?

Fortunately, my cousin's in-laws have dear friends that live in Rockland, about 30 minutes away.  Their daughter is a James Beard award winning chef who owns one of Maine's best restaurants, called Primo.  It is very hard to get a reservation.  Primo was closed for Thanksgiving as the chef and her mother were decorating it for Christmas.  She graciously offered for us to bring our turkey and trimmings and cook there!  So we did!


I was asked to make stuffed artichokes.  And the cranberry sauce.


My cousin Dawn making potato croquettes



Twenty pounds of juicy deliciousness right here!


Our feast!


A lovely table was set for us in a private room upstairs.  This was after dinner, sorry!


Friday was sunny, we were all plowed out from early Thursday, very impressive plowing, too.  We got our power back in the afternoon.  Hooray!



A good day for sledding



Dawn put up their tree


And we returned home on Sunday with wonderful memories.  A near disaster averted, and turned into a blessing.  I am thankful for my cousins, and their good friends!


The road to their home, a beautiful snow arch!

22 comments:

  1. Well I live here and have never had such a fun adventure! How cool is that?! It really couldn't have been any better, Barbara. Thank you for telling us all about it. How's Christmas looking? =D

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely Thanksgiving! Much to be thankful for with good friends who let you use their restaurant kitchen...wow! I love all that snow!
    hugs
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  3. What extraordinary friends to be able to assist with that Thanksgiving meal preparation! It looks wonderful, and I'm all ready for Thanksgiving again.:-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fun Thanksgiving...glad you got to experience it, Barbara. Having been born and brought up in New England (Vermont), I have to say they know how to keep the roads passable no matter the weather!
    Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. No verification box on your blog, Barbara! Yay!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What an awesome and beautiful Thanksgiving...so glad you found a wonderful place to cook your delicious feast. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a wonderful Thanksgiving you spent in Maine, Barbara! How thoughtful of the chef to lend you the kitchen to cook your feast. That'll be memories you'll talk about forever with your dear cousins!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, how beautiful! I have always dreamed of visiting Maine.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a fun Thanksgiving day, Barbara! Your cousins live in a wonderful place, i love the snow! What a beautiful way to their home...it' s like a fairytale.
    Kisses
    Alessandra

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a save and what a lovely weekend. Definitely a Thanksgiving to remember.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Barbara! Oh, I've missed you posting! I know we keep in touch on FB, but I still missed you here in blogland. Oh, what an eventful Thanksgiving you had and sweet of the owners of the restaurant to allow you to use their kitchen and then spread out in a private room! How nice. Now we love Maine. Never been there in the winter but love to go there in the fall and see the leaves. Now I won't have to leave my house to see leaves - we get beautiful color! I'm wishing you a wonderful Christmas and welcome back to blogland.
    Be a sweetie,
    Shelia :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, what an exciting adventure you had!! There you were, having Thanksgiving dinner in an exclusive restaurant opened just for you! You couldn't make this up! :D

    The scenery was so beautiful...makes me swoon.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm glad you had such a good time, Barbara. I enjoyed hearing about your adventure and seeing the Thanksgiving dinner and snow photos.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow, that looks wonderful! Perfect way to spend the holiday. I couldn't believe you posted! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Good morning! I popped over from Vee's blog and I am soo glad I did. What a wonderful adventure. Such a beautiful place to spend the holiday. And for this California gal I love nothing more then seeing the snow and beauty of something VERY different from what I am used to. Enjoy your the rest of your week!

    ReplyDelete
  16. A perfect holiday adventure!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I am visiting you from Vee's blog. She hinted at an adventure you had. It sounds like it was a wonderful adventure!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Visiting from Vee's blog. Love your wintery photography! The stuffed artichokes sound delish!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi Barbara, I'm visiting from Vee's and really enjoyed reading about your adventurous Maine Thanksgiving dinner. A near disaster was turned into a wonderful feast. What hospitality! Have a blessed Christmas. Pamela

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi! I popped over from Vee's to read your wonderful Thanksgiving memory.
    It was truly serendipity! And so beautiful there in Maine.
    It was a holiday to remember and retell for years to come.
    Blessings-Kimberly

    ReplyDelete
  21. Vee sent us over to read about your adventure. I'm so glad she did. What a great adventure! You'll remember this Thanksgiving forever. I love the memories that are talked about around the table every year.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Somehow I missed this post until Vee mentioned it. That was a big Maine adventure for sure, snow, loss of power, cooking at the restaurant and all.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...